Voting in second phase of elections today
April 18, 2019
The second phase of the Lok Sabha elections have begun today. They are taking place soon after several raids over what is being called a cash-for-votes scam in Tamil Nadu. Elections in 38 Lok Sabha and 18 assembly seats of the state are being held. Polling in the Vellore seat has been cancelled after a huge cash haul by Income Tax officials.
Elections are also being held in 35 assembly constituencies in Odisha. In all, 95 Lok Sabha seats across 11 states and one in the Union Territory of Puducherry are voting today. Electoral fortunes of four union ministers and former prime minister HD Deve Gowda will be decided. The counting of votes for the seven-phase election, which ends on May 19, will be held on May 23.
Soon before voting began today, Prime Minister Narendra Modi tweeted early this morning asking people to come out and vote in large numbers.
Dear Citizens of India, Phase 2 of the Lok Sabha polls start today. I am sure all those whose seats are polling today will strengthen our democracy by exercising their franchise. I hope more youngsters head to the polling booths and vote - Prime MInister Narendra Modi
The last week witnessed hectic campaigning by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, BJP chief Amit Shah, Congress president Rahul Gandhi and a number of Union ministers. The Election Commission suspended four leaders from campaigning for the violation of Model Code of Conduct, including Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath, Union minister Maneka Gandhi, BSP chief Mayawati and Samajwadi Party leader Azam Khan.
Besides Tamil Nadu, polling is on in 14 seats in Karnataka, 10 in Maharashtra, eight in Uttar Pradesh, five each in Assam, Bihar and Odisha, three each in Chhattisgarh and West Bengal, two in Jammu and Kashmir and one seat each in Manipur and Puducherry.
Among the VIP candidates up for election today are Union ministers Jitendra Singh, Jual Oram, Sadananda Gowda and Pon Radhakrishnan.
Watch in Sign Language
- 13 dead in Mumbai building collapse
July 19, 2019
- Hrithik Roshan’s Super 30 made tax-free in Bihar
July 18, 2019
- Dhoni unlikely for next tour, to be part of transitioning phase
July 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked July 16, 2019 Some tips to help a child with Down syndrome sleep better
- Get-hooked July 14, 2019 Understanding Essential Oils for Autism, ADHD
- Events July 16, 2019 International Autism Conference
- Accessibility July 15, 2019 Western Railways’ monsoon helpdesks for disabled people, elderly are a winning idea
- Get-hooked July 16, 2019 Skills training programme for people with autism in Ernakulam
- Headlines July 18, 2019 Hrithik Roshan’s Super 30 made tax-free in Bihar
- Get-hooked July 16, 2019 NGO Sreesh Mandiram was born out of a couple's experience coping with disability
- Headlines July 14, 2019 6 dead, lakhs homeless in Assam floods
- Headlines July 13, 2019 Hrithik Roshan’s ‘Super 30’ hits theatres
- Get-hooked July 12, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News