'Mental hai kya': Sensational & STIGMA MULTIPLIES? - My take by Dr Harish Shetty
April 22, 2019
Dr Harish Shetty is a psychiatrist at Dr L H Hiranandani Hospital in Mumbai
This 'blade' scares me! The picture is a teaser from the movie, Mental Hai Kya. The picture has shocked and surprised mental health professionals! Teasers are meant to draw attention but this takes the cake. 'Shock and Scare' to bait a million eyeballs is the philosophy.
Well-known psychologist Smriti Joshi said, "I and a few other psychologists and activists did try getting in touch with the producer/director via Twitter etc., but were ignored...the posters are triggering and reflect self-harm and complete insensitivity to people who may have mental illness".
There are other pictures that may be termed offensive like chopper cutting an apple and blood trickling down. It looks gory! None of us has seen the movie and many mental health professionals are concerned by the content and the insensitivity displayed by the posters.
Dr Soumitra Pathare reminds us of Section 92 of the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, which says: "Whoever intentionally insults or intimidates with intent to humiliate a person with disability in any place within public view..shall be punishable with imprisonment for a term which shall not be less than six months but which may extend to five years and with fine."
Is this Section violated by the movie? Time will tell after it is released!
The title, 'Mental hai kya', is provocative and in my opinion alarming. It appears humiliating and deriding of the mentally ill. In an era where one is fighting the 'stigma' against mental health and are helping accept the term 'mental health', mental health awareness' or mental illness this title comes as a shock.
One in eight in India are mentally ill according to recent statistics of the National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences (NIMHANS). National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) figures talk about the increase in suicides across the country, more so among the youth. And in this backdrop the title and the images have a condescending stench.
Veteran film journalist Bhawana Munjal shares that the film may be wanting to say, 'mental is the new cool'! Whatever it is , 'The feel is not good', but one needs to see the film to make a final judgement. Yet the teasers are honestly disgusting and derogatory!
Politicians also abuse their opponents by throwing the word, 'mental' on them. None of them abuse their opponents with words such as, 'diabetic', 'asthmatic', 'epileptic,' etc. Artistic license is an oft repeated comment we hear from the 'palaces of creativity', but has this film crossed the line?
Watch in Sign Language
- #RareDiseases - Poor awareness & support among the challenges people with Sturge-Weber syndrome face in India
July 18, 2019
- Trolled for a disability, UPSC topper Ira Singhal highlights need for inclusive education
July 18, 2019
- Relief for deaf youth studying at Bengaluru technical training centre
July 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked July 17, 2019 Relief for deaf youth studying at Bengaluru technical training centre
- Get-hooked July 16, 2019 “Stay positive to beat all odds” - My Take by Jomy John Joseph, disability rights activist
- Parasports July 17, 2019 India Divyang Cricket Team is raring to make its mark in first ever world series
- Parasports July 14, 2019 Para chess champ Jennitha Anto does India proud yet again
- Headlines July 17, 2019 Pakistan opens airspace after 140 days
- Parasports July 18, 2019 Noted Paralympian Deepa Malik aims to set a record in sea swimming
- Education July 18, 2019 Mumbai's Wilson College shows the path to inclusion with new faculty member Payal Bhattad
- Headlines July 18, 2019 Dhoni unlikely for next tour, to be part of transitioning phase
- Events July 18, 2019 Josh Run
- Accessibility July 13, 2019 Trichy Central Library brings written word alive for new audiences with a section for deaf readers
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News