Vir Chakra recommended for Air Force pilot
April 22, 2019
The Indian Air Force has recommended the wartime gallantry medal Vir Chakra for Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthaman for shooting down an F-16 in aerial conflict with Pakistan.
Along with Wing Commander Abhinandan, 12 Mirage 2000 pilots who bombed targets in Pakistan are being recommended for the Vayu Sena Medal for gallantry for their acts of bravery.
The Vir Chakra is among the top three gallantry awards in the military during war times. The others are Param Vir Chakra and the Mahavir Chakra.
Concerned about Wing Commander Abhinandan's security, the Air Force has posted the fighter pilot from Srinagar to another important air base along the Pakistan border.
Speaking to the media, government sources said the "posting order of the officer has been issued and he would soon be moving out of the Srinagar air base to his new place of posting". The name of the new airbase is being kept a secret for reasons of security.
Wing Commander Varthaman was shot down after he crossed into Pakistan administered Kashmir. Though he bailed out safely, he landed in territory under Pakistani control and was captured by Pakistani forces. He was later handed over to India after which he was admitted to a military hospital for a check up into possible injuries sustained during his bail out from his aircraft. He also underwent many rounds of debriefing by Indian intelligence agencies.
He was then sent on leave for three weeks after which he had joined duty in March.
Wing Commander Abhinandan has the unique distinction of being the only pilot in the world to have shot down an F-16 combat aircraft from his old MiG-21 Bison aircraft in February this year during aerial conflict with Pakistan.
Pakistan has been very upset over the shooting down of its missiles and there were concerns over his security in Srinagar due to the presence of Pakistan-backed terrorist groups in the Kashmir valley.
Last week, Wing Commander Abhinandan underwent medical tests at a Delhi-based facility for becoming eligible to fly the MiG-21s again. He has flown different types of fighter aircraft in the Air Force.
Watch in Sign Language
- 13 dead in Mumbai building collapse
July 19, 2019
- Hrithik Roshan’s Super 30 made tax-free in Bihar
July 18, 2019
- Dhoni unlikely for next tour, to be part of transitioning phase
July 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events July 16, 2019 Screening of MetaMorphosis
- Get-hooked July 17, 2019 Relief for deaf youth studying at Bengaluru technical training centre
- Headlines July 15, 2019 Press Club of India supports media boycott of Kangana
- Education July 15, 2019 Viewing the draft National Education Policy 2019 through the disability lens - Guest column by Shampa Sengupta
- Technology July 16, 2019 Research offers hope for restoring sight in acid attack victims
- Lifestyle July 17, 2019 No lace sports shoes for kids – Affordable, convenient and takes away the pain!
- Events July 18, 2019 Exclusive Job Fair For Differently Abled
- Events July 16, 2019 International Autism Conference
- Headlines July 18, 2019 Dhoni unlikely for next tour, to be part of transitioning phase
- Accessibility July 13, 2019 Trichy Central Library brings written word alive for new audiences with a section for deaf readers
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News