Over 200 dead in Sri Lanka blasts
April 22, 2019
Around 207 people have been killed in a series of bomb attacks in Sri Lanka yesterday, which happened to be Easter Sunday. As per reports more than 400 people have been injured.
The attacks started in the morning in churches where worshippers were attending Easter services.
Eight serial blasts rocked the country that targeted high end luxury hotels and churches. As per reports, some of the attacks were carried out by suicide bombers.
St. Anthony’s Church in Colombo, St. Sebastian’s Church in Negombo and the Zion Church in Batticaloa have been targeted. The bombed hotels include the Shangri-La, Cinnamon Grand and Kingsbury five-star hotels.
The bombings are suspected to be carried out by a group and the police has arrested some people connected with the attacks.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi took to twitter to condemn the attacks. He tweeted,
“Strongly condemn the horrific blasts in Sri Lanka. There is no place for such barbarism in our region. India stands in solidarity with the people of Sri Lanka. My thoughts are with the bereaved families and prayers with the injured.
Many world leaders have also offered condolences and support to SriLanka.
As per a tweet by External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj three Indians have also been killed in the attacks. Her tweet read,
Indian High Commission in Colombo has conveyed that National Hospital has informed them about the death of three Indian nationals. Their names are Lakshmi, Narayan Chandrashekhar and Ramesh. We are ascertaining further details.
Several of the dead people include foreigners, mostly tourists.
Watch in Sign Language
- Press Club of India supports media boycott of Kangana
July 15, 2019
- England wins 2019 World Cup trophy
July 15, 2019
- ‘Chandrayaan 2’ launch called off after technical slag
July 15, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked July 15, 2019 Freedom Carnival 2019 celebrates inclusion with children with disabilities
- Accessibility July 11, 2019 Disabled music enthusiasts call adaptive gears the next big thing
- Headlines July 9, 2019 Dhoni refers to retirement rumours
- Headlines July 13, 2019 Kangana accuses media of defamation
- Accessibility July 9, 2019 Countless appeals pay off, East Delhi temple builds ramps to enable access
- Education July 9, 2019 Online petition seeks rehab of deaf youth affected by closing down of training centre
- Accessibility July 10, 2019 Goa gets it's 1st restaurant with hydraulic lift for wheelchair users
- Accessibility July 13, 2019 Trichy Central Library brings written word alive for new audiences with a section for deaf readers
- Headlines July 12, 2019 Al-Qaeda head calls for attack on J&K in video
- Get-hooked July 11, 2019 #RareDiseases - Attitude key when living with Ataxia
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News