Over 200 dead in Sri Lanka blasts
April 22, 2019
Around 207 people have been killed in a series of bomb attacks in Sri Lanka yesterday, which happened to be Easter Sunday. As per reports more than 400 people have been injured.
The attacks started in the morning in churches where worshippers were attending Easter services.
Eight serial blasts rocked the country that targeted high end luxury hotels and churches. As per reports, some of the attacks were carried out by suicide bombers.
St. Anthony’s Church in Colombo, St. Sebastian’s Church in Negombo and the Zion Church in Batticaloa have been targeted. The bombed hotels include the Shangri-La, Cinnamon Grand and Kingsbury five-star hotels.
The bombings are suspected to be carried out by a group and the police has arrested some people connected with the attacks.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi took to twitter to condemn the attacks. He tweeted,
“Strongly condemn the horrific blasts in Sri Lanka. There is no place for such barbarism in our region. India stands in solidarity with the people of Sri Lanka. My thoughts are with the bereaved families and prayers with the injured.”
Many world leaders have also offered condolences and support to SriLanka.
As per a tweet by External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj three Indians have also been killed in the attacks. Her tweet read,
Indian High Commission in Colombo has conveyed that National Hospital has informed them about the death of three Indian nationals. Their names are Lakshmi, Narayan Chandrashekhar and Ramesh. We are ascertaining further details.
Several of the dead people include foreigners, mostly tourists.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked May 17, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Get-hooked May 15, 2019 Art that moves & inspires, given a new life by HeART Beat Foundation
- Headlines May 19, 2019 Virat is 1st cricketer with 100 million fans on social media
- Get-hooked May 15, 2019 "Treat us as equals" - Disabled staff manning voting booth in Delhi send out a loud, clear message
- Events May 15, 2019 Sign Language Course
- Headlines May 14, 2019 Sri Lanka suspends social media after anti-Muslim riots
- Events May 15, 2019 Music Therapy Workshop
- Technology May 13, 2019 Google’s new project to use artificial intelligence to accommodate speech impairments
- Events May 15, 2019 TCS 10k Run with Smileys & Run with Visually Impaired
- Get-hooked May 13, 2019 What I want to tell my mother - NewzHook readers share their thoughts
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News