Islamic State takes responsibility for Lanka blasts
April 24, 2019
Terror group Islamic State-ISIS has claimed the responsibility for the serial suicide blasts in Sri Lanka that have taken the lives of 321 people so far while hundreds of injured people are undergoing treatment.
Those killed in the attack include Sir Lankan citizens and nationals of other countries as well. According to Indian High Commission in Sri Lanka, the number of Indian victims has gone up to 10.
Indian High Commission tweet read, The Regret to confirm the deaths of two more Indian nationals Mr. A Maregowda and Mr. H Puttaraju in the blasts in Sri Lanka on Sunday, taking the total number of Indian deaths in the tragedy to 10 as of now. @SushmaSwaraj
Investigators have taken 40 people under arrest in connection with the 8 suicide bombings that rocked the island nation on Sunday. All the arrested suspects are Sri Lankan citizens apart from one Syrian national.
Reports are claiming that Sri Lanka had been warned about the attacks by US and Indian intelligence but the warnings were not taken seriously by the security agencies. Sri Lanka's defence minister has said that the suicide bombings were a response to terror attack on mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand last month.
National Thowheeth Jama'ath (NTJ), a local jihadist group was believed to be responsible for the gruesome attacks.
Yesterday was a gloomy day as the mass funerals were held for the blast victims. At 08:30 am the country observed three minutes of silence.
Countries such as USA and China have issued warnings to their citizens travelling or staying in Sri Lanka and advised caution.
"Terrorists may attack with little or no warning, targeting tourist locations, transportation hubs, markets/shopping malls and other public locations like hotels, clubs, restaurants, and places of worship," said US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo .