How to register online for a UDID card
The ‘Unique ID for Persons with Disabilities’project aims to create an integrated system with information about the disabled people in India.
The project is an initiative of Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities, Government of India and also includes the issuance of a ‘Unique Disability Identity Card- UDID’.
The system is expected to work for the welfare of people with disabilities by consolidating their details from across India and unifying them at one central point.
This would make it easier for disabled people to access facilities in any part of the country without hassle through the use of UDID.
A UDID card contains all necessary details about a disabled person and bypasses the need for carrying multiple documents.
The UDID card is to be used as a single document for identification and verification of a disabled person to access various benefits.
- The system will make the process more efficient and authorities will be able to ensure that facilities and schemes are reaching the beneficiaries.
As per the website All Person with Disability/Disabilities can apply.
– Persons with Disabilities who already have a Disability Certificate.
– Persons with Disabilities who don’t have any Disability Certificate.
– Persons with Disabilities who have applied for Disability Certificates and certificates are under process.
– Persons with Disabilities whose applications were rejected/want to re-apply for Disability Certificates and also for re-assessment of percentage/category of Disability.
The UDID system does sound great on paper but will it really benefit the people with disability or it also turn out to be only a formality like Aadhar. For disabled people getting their documents made can be a huge hassle due to lack of awareness. In most cases the services offered to disabled people at ground level are not adequate and official apathy makes it worse. Hopefully, things will change for better with time and people will be more sensitive to the need of people with disabilities. Rajvi Gosalia, Private sector employee
Here is how you can register for a UDID card online
Go to the UDID website: Swavlamban Card
Click on Register for making a fresh application for the UDID card.
The Person with Disability Registration screen will come up that will require details of the applicant to be filled in.
- The details needed include personal details, disability details, employment details, identity details.
You will need to provide the following documents with the form online.
– Scanned copy of recent color photo of the applicant.
– Scanned image of signature / Thumb / Other Print
– Scanned copy of Address Proof
– Scanned copy of Identity Proof
– Scanned copy of Disability Certificate
You will get a confirmation message after successful registration.
Once applied, you can check the status of the application by clicking on UDID Card Status on the website mentioned above.
UDID card will be delivered at the address mentioned during online registration by post.
Despite assurances, many people are skeptic about UDID cards.
“Earlier we were told that Aadhar card will be our unique identity and will be used at all platforms. However, that did not happen and people with disabilities went through a lot challenges to get their Aadhar made. The government is asking us to register for UDID. I am not sure if it will be of any use to people with disabilities as even the railway department is not accepting as a valid ID”, says Kishor A M, President Para Amputee Football Association India