BJP to contest more seats than Congress in Lok Sabha elections
April 26, 2019
Bharatiya Janata Party has gained a lot of confidence over the last five years and it is showing in the current elections.
For the first time, the party is contesting elections from more seats than the Congress party.
BJP has fielded candidates on 437 seats in the elections for the 545-member Lok Sabha in 2019 and this is the highest ever number since the party debuted as BJP in 1980.
Congress is contesting with 423 candidates in the current elections and a few seats are yet to be announced.
The high number is indicative of the national presence that BJP has created for itself this time as compared to earlier elections.
In the 2009 elections, BJP had contested from 433 seats across the country and the Congress on 440 seats. The elections went in favour of congress and it won 206 while BJP ended up winning 116.
BJP contested from 428 seats in the 2014 elections and was victorious in 282 while the congress lost by a huge margin and won only 44 of the 464 seats it had contested.
The role reversal between Congress and BJP has received mixed response from social media users.
Chowkidar Shriram Sandeep Varanasi @Varanasiboy_ tweeted,”BJP has turned the tables, all because of ground level efforts of @AmitShah In a first, BJP to contest more seats than Congress. It has announced 437 candidates in Lok Sabha polls contrary to Congress which has named 423 only till now.
lachhmandass bhatia @lachhmandassbha wrote,”does not make any party big. Congress has been spurned by regional parties in forging of alliance. It depends upon the sufference of these parties.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines May 17, 2019 Pakistani air space to remain shut for Indian flights till 30 May
- Headlines May 12, 2019 Air Force gets Apache helicopter from U.S
- Events May 16, 2019 Na Main Na Hain
- Accessibility May 13, 2019 Inclusive education should go beyond words - Guest Column by Sharada Devi V
- Events May 15, 2019 Summer camp
- Headlines May 13, 2019 Modi criticised over comment on Balakot strikes
- Headlines May 12, 2019 IPL 2019 final today
- Events May 15, 2019 Sign Language Course
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 Parenting Corner - Feeling Guilty
- Get-hooked May 14, 2019 The Relic, a novel by team of 2 disabled writers has many readers hooked
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News