BJP to contest more seats than Congress in Lok Sabha elections
April 26, 2019
Bharatiya Janata Party has gained a lot of confidence over the last five years and it is showing in the current elections.
For the first time, the party is contesting elections from more seats than the Congress party.
BJP has fielded candidates on 437 seats in the elections for the 545-member Lok Sabha in 2019 and this is the highest ever number since the party debuted as BJP in 1980.
Congress is contesting with 423 candidates in the current elections and a few seats are yet to be announced.
The high number is indicative of the national presence that BJP has created for itself this time as compared to earlier elections.
In the 2009 elections, BJP had contested from 433 seats across the country and the Congress on 440 seats. The elections went in favour of congress and it won 206 while BJP ended up winning 116.
BJP contested from 428 seats in the 2014 elections and was victorious in 282 while the congress lost by a huge margin and won only 44 of the 464 seats it had contested.
The role reversal between Congress and BJP has received mixed response from social media users.
Chowkidar Shriram Sandeep Varanasiâ€ @Varanasiboy_ tweeted,BJP has turned the tables, all because of ground level efforts of @AmitShah In a first, BJP to contest more seats than Congress. It has announced 437 candidates in Lok Sabha polls contrary to Congress which has named 423 only till now.
lachhmandass bhatiaâ€ @lachhmandassbha wrote,does not make any party big. Congress has been spurned by regional parties in forging of alliance. It depends upon the sufference of these parties.
Watch in Sign Language
- 13 dead in Mumbai building collapse
July 19, 2019
- Hrithik Roshan’s Super 30 made tax-free in Bihar
July 18, 2019
- Dhoni unlikely for next tour, to be part of transitioning phase
July 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked July 13, 2019 Parenting corner - Autism and Aggression
- Events July 18, 2019 Conference – Deglobalishing Disability : Texts and Contexts
- Events July 14, 2019 Masti Time: Come share your stories
- Get-hooked July 15, 2019 Saswati Singh's efforts to empower people with disabilities takes off as Nav Prerna Foundation
- Headlines July 17, 2019 Pakistan opens airspace after 140 days
- Accessibility July 15, 2019 Western Railways’ monsoon helpdesks for disabled people, elderly are a winning idea
- Parasports July 17, 2019 India Divyang Cricket Team is raring to make its mark in first ever world series
- Headlines July 15, 2019 ‘Chandrayaan 2’ launch called off after technical slag
- Headlines July 18, 2019 Dhoni unlikely for next tour, to be part of transitioning phase
- Headlines July 16, 2019 Reports of rift within Indian cricket team to be probed
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News