Radical Islamist killed in Lanka attack, says government
April 27, 2019
An Islamist extremist Zahran Hashim, who is believed to have played a key role in Sri Lanka's deadly Easter Sunday bombings is also believed to have been killed in an attack at the Shangri La Hotel in Colombo. "What intelligence agencies have told me is that Zahran was killed during the Shangri-La attack," said Sri Lanka's President Maithripala Sirisena.
Hashim appeared in a video released by the Islamic State group after they claimed credit for the the bombings. His whereabouts after the blasts was not clear. Security forces had been on a desperate hunt for Hashim, who is said to be around 40 years old. The group he led National Thowheeth Jama'ath (NTJ) is the prime suspect.
He is shown in the video leading seven other people as they pledge loyalty to IS chief Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi. Hashim was unknown before these attacks although local Muslim leaders say they had reported him to the authorities for for his extremist views and behaviour.
Meanwhile, the government of Sri Lanka has released photographs of six suspects, including three women, wanted for their involvement in the attacks. Police have arrested 16 people, taking the number of people in custody in total to 76. They have released the names and pictures of the suspects and sought information regarding them from public. Many of those arrested have suspected links to the NTJ, the group blamed for the bombings. But the IS has claimed responsibility for the attacks and identified suicide bombers who carried out the devastating blasts.
Over 5,000 army personnel have been deployed around the country.
Brigadier Sumith Atapattu, Military Spokesman. A small explosion happened in Pugoda, 40 kms north of Colombo in a garbage dump and no one was injured
Watch in Sign Language
- Death toll rises, lakhs left homeless in Assam floods
July 17, 2019
- England’s World Cup win clouded by ICC rule controversy
July 17, 2019
- Pakistan opens airspace after 140 days
July 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines July 15, 2019 ‘Chandrayaan 2’ launch called off after technical slag
- Events July 16, 2019 Trek to Chandratal Baralacha La
- Parasports July 14, 2019 Para chess champ Jennitha Anto does India proud yet again
- Get-hooked July 10, 2019 Twitter hashtag sets off important conversation about worst disability "compliments"
- Events July 11, 2019 Special buddies program (Basic group)
- Events July 11, 2019 South Zone Regional Abilympics
- Headlines July 12, 2019 Virat shares message with fans after loss
- Accessibility July 10, 2019 Goa gets it's 1st restaurant with hydraulic lift for wheelchair users
- Parasports July 10, 2019 National level para sportsperson Garima Joshi risks losing home, appeals for financial help
- Headlines July 13, 2019 Rohit Sharma to lead India for West Indies series
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News