Bengaluru, Mysuru on alert after Lanka blasts
April 28, 2019
Bengaluru and Mysuru in Karnataka are on high alert after the Easter Sunday blasts in Sri Lanka. Authorities have increased security in all sensitive areas, religious places, markets, malls, shopping plazas, multiplexes, airport, railway station, inter-state bus terminals and public places.
Bengaluru was already on high alert for the Lok Sabha election and this has been tightened. A series of terror blasts struck churches and luxury hotels in Colombo, killing over 250 people.
We have also directed hotels, pubs, restaurants, marriage halls, multi-complexes and supermarkets to step up their own security in and around their places with CCTV cameras, metal detectors and fire alarm. - Suneel Kumar, Bengaluru Police Commissioner
Given the presence of over 500 global IT firms, the Indian space agency, ISRO, and defence labs, Bengaluru is always on high alert. "We regularly receive alerts from the Union Home Ministry and intelligence agencies on possible terror attacks, as untoward incidents in Bengaluru draw global attention in view its reputation and prominence as the country's technology capital, aerospace hub and space city," said Kumar.
The city police held meetings on Thursday to assess the preparedness for dealing with any act of terror.
Meanwhile, in Lanka, 15 people, including six children, were killed in a Sri Lankan security forces operation. Three suicide bombers who were surrounded, blew themselves up while others were shot dead. Three men set off explosives, killing three women and six children inside what was said to be a jihadist safe house.
In a statement, the police said, "Three other men, also believed to be suicide bombers, were found dead outside the house".
Security forces have stepped up their searches for extremists after the Islamic State claimed responsibility for the suicide attacks on three churches and three luxury hotels, which killed least 253 people and wounded hundreds more.
Watch in Sign Language
- Death toll rises, lakhs left homeless in Assam floods
July 17, 2019
- England’s World Cup win clouded by ICC rule controversy
July 17, 2019
- Pakistan opens airspace after 140 days
July 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines July 12, 2019 Virat shares message with fans after loss
- Headlines July 17, 2019 Pakistan opens airspace after 140 days
- Events July 11, 2019 Special buddies program (Basic group)
- Events July 16, 2019 Open Voices Conference
- Headlines July 16, 2019 Reports of rift within Indian cricket team to be probed
- Events July 11, 2019 South Zone Regional Abilympics
- Get-hooked July 14, 2019 #RareDiseases - Indian Rett Syndrome Foundation is raising awareness about this genetic brain disorder
- Events July 16, 2019 Trek to Chandratal Baralacha La
- Get-hooked July 16, 2019 NGO Sreesh Mandiram was born out of a couple's experience coping with disability
- Get-hooked July 16, 2019 Skills training programme for people with autism in Ernakulam
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News