Bengaluru, Mysuru on alert after Lanka blasts
April 28, 2019
Bengaluru and Mysuru in Karnataka are on high alert after the Easter Sunday blasts in Sri Lanka. Authorities have increased security in all sensitive areas, religious places, markets, malls, shopping plazas, multiplexes, airport, railway station, inter-state bus terminals and public places.
Bengaluru was already on high alert for the Lok Sabha election and this has been tightened. A series of terror blasts struck churches and luxury hotels in Colombo, killing over 250 people.
We have also directed hotels, pubs, restaurants, marriage halls, multi-complexes and supermarkets to step up their own security in and around their places with CCTV cameras, metal detectors and fire alarm. - Suneel Kumar, Bengaluru Police Commissioner
Given the presence of over 500 global IT firms, the Indian space agency, ISRO, and defence labs, Bengaluru is always on high alert. "We regularly receive alerts from the Union Home Ministry and intelligence agencies on possible terror attacks, as untoward incidents in Bengaluru draw global attention in view its reputation and prominence as the country's technology capital, aerospace hub and space city," said Kumar.
The city police held meetings on Thursday to assess the preparedness for dealing with any act of terror.
Meanwhile, in Lanka, 15 people, including six children, were killed in a Sri Lankan security forces operation. Three suicide bombers who were surrounded, blew themselves up while others were shot dead. Three men set off explosives, killing three women and six children inside what was said to be a jihadist safe house.
In a statement, the police said, "Three other men, also believed to be suicide bombers, were found dead outside the house".
Security forces have stepped up their searches for extremists after the Islamic State claimed responsibility for the suicide attacks on three churches and three luxury hotels, which killed least 253 people and wounded hundreds more.
Watch in Sign Language
- Telephone services, Internet partially back in J&K
August 18, 2019
- ‘Mission Mangal’ gets grand opening at box office
August 18, 2019
- Deepa Malik wins Khel Ratna
August 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines August 18, 2019 ‘Mission Mangal’ gets grand opening at box office
- Events August 14, 2019 Dyslexia Awareness Workshop
- Headlines August 14, 2019 Kerala man Noushad wins hearts in flood-hit Kerala
- Employment August 13, 2019 Government move to roll back disability pension tax on retired soldiers welcomed
- Events August 14, 2019 Pop-up and Sign Language session
- Events August 14, 2019 Let your hands do the talking
- Headlines August 12, 2019 Curfew in Srinagar, people told to stay home
- Events August 13, 2019 Inclusive Walkathon
- Events August 14, 2019 Adolescent Training and Sex Education Workshop
- Get-Hooked August 17, 2019 Alleged sexual harassment of child with autism in Kerala highlights need for tougher rules
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines August 10, 2019
Headlines August 11, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News