Masood Azhar listed as global terrorist by United Nations
May 3, 2019
In a major diplomatic win for India, China backed the bid to designate Jaish-e-Mohammed Chief Masood Azhar as a global terrorist at the United Nationals Security Council (UNSC). On Wednesday, China confirmed that they want Azhar in the list after blocking the move for over four times. Russia, USA and India have been urging United Nations to blacklist Azhar since the past few years. The request was renewed after the Pulwama attack that killed 40 CRPF soldiers in Jammu and Kashmir. Azhar was the mastermind of the attack. His terrorist group Jaish-e-Mohammed had claimed the attack.
Today is a day that would make every Indian proud! I thank the global community and all those who believe in humanitarian values for their support. India’s fight against terror will continue. We will work towards peace and brotherhood in our planet-Narendra Modi, Prime Minister of India
United States White House said that China has finally done the right thing by withdrawing their support. Azhar, who is a Pakistani national, has been conducting his terrorist operations from Pakistani soil. He is the mastermind behind many terrorist attacks across the globe, mostly in Jammu and Kashmir. Many people took to social media to express their happiness over the move.
“Congrats to our team @USUN for their work in negotiating JEM's Masood Azhar's #UN designation as a terrorist. This long-awaited action is a victory for American diplomacy and the international community against terrorism, and an important step towards peace in South Asia”, tweeted Mike Pompeo, United States Secretary of State.
“The UNSC listing of Masood Azhar will hopefully provide some respite to the loved ones and especially survivors of the hijack - who have been consistently targeted and guilt tripped by politicians for being alive”, tweeted Advaita Kala, Author.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines May 20, 2019 Mamata's nephew sends defamation notice to PM
- Get-hooked May 24, 2019 This Pune-based centre aims to build awareness, fight the stigma around schizophrenia
- Headlines May 22, 2019 Vivek Oberoi deletes offensive tweet about Aishwarya, apologises
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 Parenting Corner - Feeling Guilty
- Headlines May 19, 2019 Seventh & final phase of voting in general elections today
- Headlines May 18, 2019 Irfan signs up for Carribean Premier League players draft
- Headlines May 18, 2019 Indian actors shine at Cannes festival 2019
- Get-hooked May 20, 2019 These friends banded together in the aftermath of the Kerala floods to help people with disabilities
- Education May 17, 2019 'Kannada Pustaka' open online library is empowering thousands of visually impaired students
- Accessibility May 17, 2019 Anuprayaas is making railway stations inclusive & accessible for visually impaired people
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News