Inclusive Arm Wrestling Championship will test the mettle of Mumbaikars
May 6, 2019
Mumbai-based Horizon Sports Academy aims to encourage sporting talent among people with disabilities and create awareness about para sports. The academy has something exciting planned which is an arm wrestling competition. Called Mumbai District Arm Wrestling Championship, this will be an inclusive event, open to people with and without disabilities.
Arm wrestling is a sport where two players are pitted against each other, with each one attempting to pin down the other's arm onto a surface where the elbows are rested. The strength of the arm muscles are severely tested. While forearm muscles are mainly used, upper arm, shoulders and chest come into play as well.
The prime mover behind the event Khushi Ganatra says the sport is good for physical and mental health. A gold medal-winning para-power lifter, Khushi is a national powerlifting champion and a wheelchair user since birth due to a condition called spina bifida. Khushi wants to spread the love and passion for sport among more disabled people.
Sports not only makes the body healthy and flexible, it is also extremely beneficial for our mental health and wellbeing. Everyone should take part in regular sports and physical activities to lead a much healthier and happier life. - Khushi Gantra, Founder, Horizon Sports Academy
With support from partners Zidd and Mantra Gym, the championship will be held on 12 May
The championship will open doors for arm wrestlers to play at state and national levels. Depending on their performance here, the best among the crop will be chosen. Dinkle Shah, Maharashtra wheelchair basketball champion, will be taking part as well and she says such events are a good way to promote para sports.
“I like playing different sports. I am an international wheelchair basketball player but never played arm wrestling", says Dinkle. "I am excited to play it and have a new experience altogether”, she said.
The chief guest at the event is popular YouTuber Deepraj Vedpathak, creator of the channel Deeplife. There will be other judges as well, including the well-known Harish Verma, the para-arm wrestler. Harish has won medals at the World Arm Wrestling Championship.
“I am very happy and proud of the efforts that Khushi is making for promoting para sports in India", says Harish. "There are many talented para sportspersons in our country but due to lack of financial support they are not able to reach their potential. I am glad to be a part of this event and hope to see some real talent".
The Mumbai District Arm Wrestling Championship is open to male and female sportspersons. About 200 contestants are expected to participate.
Interested arm wrestlers and sponsors can contact organizers at 9022326763, 8454057798, and 7977470939.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility June 24, 2019 Buttons 2 Button is an adaptive clothing idea straight from a mom's heart
- Get-hooked June 22, 2019 Parenting Corner - Parent’s role in education
- Employment June 20, 2019 Karnataka's popular Mitti Cafe chain, manned entirely by disabled staff, set to expand to other cities
- Parasports June 21, 2019 Ahead of Physical Disability World Series, allegations of bias against selectors
- Headlines June 20, 2019 Chennai hit by worst water crisis
- Headlines June 24, 2019 Afghanistan match was a lesson, says Virat
- Events June 26, 2019 Talk Tools Workshop
- Get-hooked June 24, 2019 Children feel like superheroes in this lovely photoshoot initiative started by American couple
- Headlines June 25, 2019 Jharkhand mob lynching victim dies, five arrested
- Headlines June 21, 2019 Imran Khan trolled after he quotes Tagore as Gibran
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News