Sunny Deol mocked for ignorance about Balakot strikes
May 10, 2019
The Punjab Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh is among the many people to mock Bollywood actor and BJP's new star candidate Sunny Deol over his recent comments on the Balakot air strikes. Singh has called Deol a "showpiece", making this the second time that the senior Congress leader has targeted Deol.
Speaking to the media, Singh said, "While (Prime Minister Narendra) Modi has been taking credit for Balakot, this man (Sunny Deol) does not even know what had happened there".
Earlier this week, 62-year-old Deol, who recently joined the BJP and is the party's candidate from Gurdaspur seat in Punjab, had admitted he was new to politics while speaking to a news channel.
I do not know much about issues like Balakot strikes or India's relations with Pakistan. I am here to serve people; if I win maybe I will have an opinion, right now I don't. - Sunny Deol, BJP Candidate
Singh, in response, mocked the BJP's focus on national security, saying "This showed the calibre of the people that BJP is seeking to impose on the people of India".
He also made fun of Deol's step-mother Hema Malini, who is another star candidate of the BJP and a sitting MP. "These actors are just showpieces. Hema Malini did not open her mouth once in the Lok Sabha, where she represented Mathura for five years," he said.
After the terror attack in Pulwama that killed over 40 CRPF soldiers followed by the air strikes of Balakot, Prime Minister Narendra Modi and the BJP have made national security and nationalism the key theme of this election.
Singh, who also served in the Army, said that Sunny Deol "is a filmy fauji (soldier), while I am a real fauji". He was talking about Deol's character in the film Border. "Sunny might have played 23 Punjab's (Regiment's) Brigadier Kuldip Singh Chandpuri in (movie) "Border", but that does not make him a real soldier," he said.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events July 16, 2019 Living Well with Epilepsy: An Interactive Session
- Get-hooked July 18, 2019 #RareDiseases - Poor awareness & support among the challenges people with Sturge-Weber syndrome face in India
- Get-hooked July 14, 2019 #RareDiseases - Indian Rett Syndrome Foundation is raising awareness about this genetic brain disorder
- Events July 16, 2019 Screening of MetaMorphosis
- Events July 18, 2019 Josh Run
- Get-hooked July 19, 2019 Inclusion Walkathon 2019 aims to spread the message of a world without barriers
- Events July 16, 2019 International Autism Conference
- Technology July 16, 2019 Research offers hope for restoring sight in acid attack victims
- Employment July 19, 2019 India Fort in Kerala to offer youngsters with intellectual disabilities platform to showcase talents
- Get-hooked July 15, 2019 Freedom Carnival 2019 celebrates inclusion with children with disabilities
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News