Sunny Deol mocked for ignorance about Balakot strikes
May 10, 2019
The Punjab Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh is among the many people to mock Bollywood actor and BJP's new star candidate Sunny Deol over his recent comments on the Balakot air strikes. Singh has called Deol a "showpiece", making this the second time that the senior Congress leader has targeted Deol.
Speaking to the media, Singh said, "While (Prime Minister Narendra) Modi has been taking credit for Balakot, this man (Sunny Deol) does not even know what had happened there".
Earlier this week, 62-year-old Deol, who recently joined the BJP and is the party's candidate from Gurdaspur seat in Punjab, had admitted he was new to politics while speaking to a news channel.
I do not know much about issues like Balakot strikes or India's relations with Pakistan. I am here to serve people; if I win maybe I will have an opinion, right now I don't. - Sunny Deol, BJP Candidate
Singh, in response, mocked the BJP's focus on national security, saying "This showed the calibre of the people that BJP is seeking to impose on the people of India".
He also made fun of Deol's step-mother Hema Malini, who is another star candidate of the BJP and a sitting MP. "These actors are just showpieces. Hema Malini did not open her mouth once in the Lok Sabha, where she represented Mathura for five years," he said.
After the terror attack in Pulwama that killed over 40 CRPF soldiers followed by the air strikes of Balakot, Prime Minister Narendra Modi and the BJP have made national security and nationalism the key theme of this election.
Singh, who also served in the Army, said that Sunny Deol "is a filmy fauji (soldier), while I am a real fauji". He was talking about Deol's character in the film Border. "Sunny might have played 23 Punjab's (Regiment's) Brigadier Kuldip Singh Chandpuri in (movie) "Border", but that does not make him a real soldier," he said.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines May 17, 2019 Sadhvi Pragya apologizes for Godse comments
- Headlines May 18, 2019 Irfan signs up for Carribean Premier League players draft
- Get-hooked May 20, 2019 'Follow your heart, not your brain to find success' - Guest column by Neelu Jindal
- Headlines May 19, 2019 PM Modi responds to title of 'Divider in Chief'
- Headlines May 20, 2019 Mamata's nephew sends defamation notice to PM
- Headlines May 19, 2019 Seventh & final phase of voting in general elections today
- Headlines May 18, 2019 Indian actors shine at Cannes festival 2019
- Accessibility May 20, 2019 Goa election officials, NGOs come together to conduct accessibility audit of polling booths
- Events May 17, 2019 Multiple Sclerosis - Invisible Symptoms
- Accessibility May 21, 2019 Check out these accessible holiday destinations in India
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News