Case regarding on Rahul Gandhi’s citizenship dismissed
May 10, 2019
Recently, two Delhi residents had filed a petition in Supreme Court of India (SC) questioning Congress President Rahul Gandhi’s citizenship. On Thursday, SC dismissed the petition. In the petition filed by Chander Prakash Tyagi and Jai Bhagwan Goyal, Rahul Gandhi has a British citizenship. Hence, he does not qualify to contest in the Lok Sabha elections from his constituencies Wayanad and Amethi. According to the petitioners, a United Kingdom based company has provided Gandhi’s name in their data and given him as a British citizen.
The Supreme Court has dismissed the ridiculous allegations by the Ministry of Home Affairs & BJP leader @Swamy39 on Congress President @RahulGandhi’s citizenship. It just goes to show that this govt's campaign of lies will never work in the face of truth-Congress
The BJP had already stepped forward to support the petitioners when it was filed. BJP led central government responded that Rahul Gandhi must provide an explanation within 15 days after the petition was filed. But the top court under Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi said that just because some company has mentioned Rahul's name and marked him as a British citizen, he does not become a British citizen.
“Another tight slap by Supreme Court on the face of BJP by dismissing a PIL challenging Citizenship of Congress President Shri Rahul Gandhi Ji.BJP is clearly worried over their loss&trying to divert the attention from their failures by raking up the frivolous issue of citizenship”, tweeted Rajeev Satav, Congress Leader & Former President of Indian Youth Congress.
In India, to contest in Lok Sabha elections, the candidate must have only Indian citizenship. SC dismissing petition on Rahul Gandhi’s citizenship row has come as a huge relief to the Congress party.
“SC has dismissed petition on @RahulGandhi citizenship issue.Govt. surely would have known if he had a British passport or citizenship. Why can't @swamy39 or the Govt. itself produce evidence of his British citizenship if they have it? .#Elections2019”, tweeted Political Analyst Sumanth Raman.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events May 15, 2019 Sign Language Course
- Get-hooked May 16, 2019 #BeingMom - What makes Nalini Srivastava such a power mom?
- Headlines May 12, 2019 Air Force gets Apache helicopter from U.S
- Get-hooked May 17, 2019 Accessibility among 5 areas under focus in 11th edition of NASSCOM Social Innovation Forum
- Accessibility May 17, 2019 Anuprayaas is making railway stations inclusive & accessible for visually impaired people
- Headlines May 18, 2019 PM says Congress expects to perform badly
- Headlines May 15, 2019 No chance of a Third Front says DMK leader Stalin
- Events May 14, 2019 Winter School: Fostering Research in Disability
- Get-hooked May 13, 2019 Find out how Anjan breathes life into his paintings & caricatures
- Get-hooked May 12, 2019 Growing outrage over clean chit given to Chief Justice in case of sexual harassment of hearing impaired woman
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News