Case regarding on Rahul Gandhi’s citizenship dismissed
May 10, 2019
Recently, two Delhi residents had filed a petition in Supreme Court of India (SC) questioning Congress President Rahul Gandhi’s citizenship. On Thursday, SC dismissed the petition. In the petition filed by Chander Prakash Tyagi and Jai Bhagwan Goyal, Rahul Gandhi has a British citizenship. Hence, he does not qualify to contest in the Lok Sabha elections from his constituencies Wayanad and Amethi. According to the petitioners, a United Kingdom based company has provided Gandhi’s name in their data and given him as a British citizen.
The Supreme Court has dismissed the ridiculous allegations by the Ministry of Home Affairs & BJP leader @Swamy39 on Congress President @RahulGandhi’s citizenship. It just goes to show that this govt's campaign of lies will never work in the face of truth-Congress
The BJP had already stepped forward to support the petitioners when it was filed. BJP led central government responded that Rahul Gandhi must provide an explanation within 15 days after the petition was filed. But the top court under Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi said that just because some company has mentioned Rahul's name and marked him as a British citizen, he does not become a British citizen.
“Another tight slap by Supreme Court on the face of BJP by dismissing a PIL challenging Citizenship of Congress President Shri Rahul Gandhi Ji.BJP is clearly worried over their loss&trying to divert the attention from their failures by raking up the frivolous issue of citizenship, tweeted Rajeev Satav, Congress Leader & Former President of Indian Youth Congress.
In India, to contest in Lok Sabha elections, the candidate must have only Indian citizenship. SC dismissing petition on Rahul Gandhi’s citizenship row has come as a huge relief to the Congress party.
“SC has dismissed petition on @RahulGandhi citizenship issue.Govt. surely would have known if he had a British passport or citizenship. Why can't @swamy39 or the Govt. itself produce evidence of his British citizenship if they have it? .#Elections2019, tweeted Political Analyst Sumanth Raman.
Watch in Sign Language
- 13 dead in Mumbai building collapse
July 19, 2019
- Hrithik Roshan’s Super 30 made tax-free in Bihar
July 18, 2019
- Dhoni unlikely for next tour, to be part of transitioning phase
July 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines July 15, 2019 Press Club of India supports media boycott of Kangana
- Headlines July 19, 2019 13 dead in Mumbai building collapse
- Get-hooked July 13, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Headlines July 13, 2019 Hrithik Roshan’s ‘Super 30’ hits theatres
- Get-hooked July 16, 2019 Some tips to help a child with Down syndrome sleep better
- Events July 16, 2019 Living Well with Epilepsy: An Interactive Session
- Get-hooked July 18, 2019 Trolled for a disability, UPSC topper Ira Singhal highlights need for inclusive education
- Headlines July 18, 2019 Hrithik Roshan’s Super 30 made tax-free in Bihar
- Get-hooked July 14, 2019 An instinctive, nurturing approach enables this music teacher to unearth talents in disabled students
- Headlines July 16, 2019 Karnataka government trust vote on Thursday
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News