Sri Lanka suspends social media after anti-Muslim riots
May 14, 2019
Sri Lanka is undergoing the worst national crisis situation since the serial blasts that rocked the country last month. Now, the Sri Lankan government has banned social media including Facebook and WhatsApp after certain Muslim owned institutions and mosques were attacked in the country. Security has also been beefed up in Sri Lanka.
After a dispute that started off on Facebook, a Muslim man was beaten up at the town of Chilaw where there is a majority of Christians. According to reports, the man identified as Hameed Mohamad Hasmar, posted a comment saying one day you will cry. An angry mob interpreted this as the Easter attacks and assaulted Hasmar. People also threw stones at mosques on Sunday. Mobile apps like SnapChat, Instagram and Viber will also be suspended. The government has not given a date when the suspension will be revoked.
Sri Lanka government/officials neglected terror attack warnings, wrong suspect circulated & now death toll revised. but social media banned siting we people spread false news? People facing Uncertainty-Daniel Alexander, Sri Lanka Cricketer
On 25 April, a series of bomb blasts took place in hotels and churches of Sri Lanka killing at least 250 people including tourists and injuring over 500.
“The Sri Lankan government has banned social media all through Sri Lanka due to stop the spread of rumours after violence erupted in Negombo”, tweeted Rana.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 #BeingMom - Behind swimming champ Ankita Anvikar's success story is mom Anjali
- Headlines May 22, 2019 Clean chit for Mulayam Singh & son in corruption case
- Accessibility May 22, 2019 Madras High Court bench slams Medical Council of India guidelines as biased against disabled medical aspirants
- Headlines May 24, 2019 Rahul concedes defeat, congratulates PM
- Get-hooked May 21, 2019 From working for underprivileged kids to disability rights advocacy, Diksha wears many hats
- Headlines May 20, 2019 Mamata's nephew sends defamation notice to PM
- Headlines May 22, 2019 Vivek Oberoi deletes offensive tweet about Aishwarya, apologises
- Accessibility May 17, 2019 Anuprayaas is making railway stations inclusive & accessible for visually impaired people
- Headlines May 19, 2019 PM Modi responds to title of 'Divider in Chief'
- Employment May 19, 2019 At Indore workshop on workplace inclusion, corporates share learnings & inspiring stories
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News