Violence in West Bengal over vandalising of iconic statue
May 16, 2019
Narendra Modi led BJP and Mamata Banerjee led Trinamool Congress has come out to accuse each other of vandalising the iconic statue of Ishwar Chandra Vidyasagar. The statue which was built in the 19th century of reformer Vidyasagar was located at Kolkata and was an iconic landmark of the city. This was shortly after the visit of BJP leader Amit Shah to Kolkata on Tuesday. Both the political parties accused each other of vandalising the statue.
The incident that happened, shortly after the Lok Sabha elections in West Bengal, has infuriated people from across the state. The BP has complained to the Election Commission of India (ECI) regarding the matter. They have requested ECI to bar Mamata Banerjee from campaigning for the last phase of elections.
We demand the Election Commission of India to bar the Chief Minister of West Bengal Ms. @MamataOfficial from campaigning in the last phase of the elections : Smt @nsitharaman-Nirmala Sitharaman Office, Defence Minister of India
Violence broke out at many parts of West Bengal on Wednesday. But no serious attacks were reported. Mamata Banerjee said that her government will give a befitting reply to what has been a huge shame to democracy.
“#Vidyasagar’s bust was kept in a glass chamber inside a room (as reported by Telegraph) in the college campus but Mamata Banerjee inspected the broken statue, which was neatly placed for her and media outside. Question is why did she not go to the site? #SaveBengalSaveDemocracy”, tweeted Chowkidar Amit Malviya, BJP's National Information & Technology Head.
“What anti Modi’Sm couldn’t achieve , can the vandalism of #Vidyasagar statue achieve that? Bring in all anti BJP parties together. Big day in store. @BJP4India big guns move to Bengal, how will @MamataOfficial respond to it today?”, tweeted Journalist Bhupendra Chaubey.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked May 24, 2019 This Pune-based centre aims to build awareness, fight the stigma around schizophrenia
- Headlines May 23, 2019 India launches new spy satellite
- Get-hooked May 24, 2019 Disability rights activist Prajith Jaipal to hit the road to promote awareness
- Education May 23, 2019 Hyderabad schools strictly warned not to deny admission to children with disabilities
- Headlines May 18, 2019 Indian actors shine at Cannes festival 2019
- Accessibility May 23, 2019 Curated tours, sign language interpreters planned in Kerala as part of Barrier Free Tourism project
- Get-hooked May 19, 2019 #BeingMom - Vinayana Khurana's creative side was enhanced by mother Neerja
- Technology May 23, 2019 #TechThursdays - Augmenta11y, an app developed by students, helps children with dyslexia read better
- Get-hooked May 24, 2019 Para athlete Javed Choudhari to dance up a storm on reality show Dance Deewane
- Headlines May 19, 2019 Virat is 1st cricketer with 100 million fans on social media
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News