Violence in West Bengal over vandalising of iconic statue
May 16, 2019
Narendra Modi led BJP and Mamata Banerjee led Trinamool Congress has come out to accuse each other of vandalising the iconic statue of Ishwar Chandra Vidyasagar. The statue which was built in the 19th century of reformer Vidyasagar was located at Kolkata and was an iconic landmark of the city. This was shortly after the visit of BJP leader Amit Shah to Kolkata on Tuesday. Both the political parties accused each other of vandalising the statue.
The incident that happened, shortly after the Lok Sabha elections in West Bengal, has infuriated people from across the state. The BP has complained to the Election Commission of India (ECI) regarding the matter. They have requested ECI to bar Mamata Banerjee from campaigning for the last phase of elections.
We demand the Election Commission of India to bar the Chief Minister of West Bengal Ms. @MamataOfficial from campaigning in the last phase of the elections : Smt @nsitharaman-Nirmala Sitharaman Office, Defence Minister of India
Violence broke out at many parts of West Bengal on Wednesday. But no serious attacks were reported. Mamata Banerjee said that her government will give a befitting reply to what has been a huge shame to democracy.
“#Vidyasagar’s bust was kept in a glass chamber inside a room (as reported by Telegraph) in the college campus but Mamata Banerjee inspected the broken statue, which was neatly placed for her and media outside. Question is why did she not go to the site? #SaveBengalSaveDemocracy, tweeted Chowkidar Amit Malviya, BJP's National Information & Technology Head.
“What anti Modi’Sm couldn’t achieve , can the vandalism of #Vidyasagar statue achieve that? Bring in all anti BJP parties together. Big day in store. @BJP4India big guns move to Bengal, how will @MamataOfficial respond to it today?, tweeted Journalist Bhupendra Chaubey.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked July 15, 2019 Freedom Carnival 2019 celebrates inclusion with children with disabilities
- Technology July 16, 2019 Research offers hope for restoring sight in acid attack victims
- Parasports July 14, 2019 Para chess champ Jennitha Anto does India proud yet again
- Events July 18, 2019 Exclusive Job Fair For Differently Abled
- Headlines July 15, 2019 ‘Chandrayaan 2’ launch called off after technical slag
- Employment July 19, 2019 India Fort in Kerala to offer youngsters with intellectual disabilities platform to showcase talents
- Headlines July 18, 2019 Hrithik Roshan’s Super 30 made tax-free in Bihar
- Get-hooked July 14, 2019 #RareDiseases - Indian Rett Syndrome Foundation is raising awareness about this genetic brain disorder
- Parasports July 17, 2019 India Divyang Cricket Team is raring to make its mark in first ever world series
- Events July 16, 2019 Living Well with Epilepsy: An Interactive Session
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News