PM promises to build statue of reformer Vidyasagar
May 17, 2019
Prime Minister Narendra Modi is facing a strong backlash after a statue of Ishwar Chandra Vidyasagar, the 19th century reformer, was broken during clashes at BJP President Amit Shah's roadshow in Kolkata. He has promised to install another "grand statue" at the same spot.
The BJP and Bengal's ruling Trinamool Congress have accused each other of vandalising the statue, which has immense emotional value for the people of Bengal.
We saw hooliganism by TMC workers again during Bhai Amit Shah's roadshow in Kolkata, they vandalized Ishwar Chandra Vidyasagar's statue. Such people should face strong action. We are committed to Vidyasagar's vision and will install his grand statue made of panchdhatu (five metals) at the same spot. - Prime Minister Narendra Modi
Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee responded saying, "Modi has promised to rebuild the Vidyasagar statue in Kolkata. Why should we take their (money? Bengal has enough resources".
A senior leader of the Trinamool Congress Derek O'Brien also sent out a strong tweet, "Modi. You pathological liar.#LowLife".
Ishwar Chandra Vidyasagar's statue was broken at the premises of the Vidyasagar College, which was on the route of Shah's roadshow on Tuesday. Clashes broke out when students holding up posters of "Go Back Amit Shah" were attacked by men wearing saffron clothes and carrying sticks. Video clips released by the Bengal CM showed attackers breaking through the gates of the college. It is not clear which side the attackers belonged to.
Shah has accused Banerjee's own party men os breaking the statue and putting the blame on the BJP ahead of the last phase of voting in Bengal. Four constituencies in Kolkata are left to vote.
The Election Commission has also put a stop to campaigning in Bengal over the violence, and said it was "deeply anguished at the vandalism done to the statue" of an icon who.
Watch in Sign Language
- Father pleads guilty in death of adoptive disabled child
June 27, 2019
- Salman Khan accused of assault, robbery
June 27, 2019
- PM responds to Jharkhand lynching
June 27, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events June 20, 2019 Special buddies program (Intermediate group)
- Events June 26, 2019 Morning of Fun
- Get-hooked June 24, 2019 Disabled adults experience the healing touch of animals for the first time at a therapy session
- Accessibility June 26, 2019 Deaf Entertainment is bringing the magic of movies to new audiences
- Headlines June 20, 2019 Panel to review ‘One Nation, One Election’ plan
- Parasports June 27, 2019 Bengaluru to play host to national blind football tournament
- Events June 20, 2019 Certificate course in Assistive Technology Solutions
- Headlines June 24, 2019 Salman to earn 400 crore from Bigg Boss 13
- Employment June 27, 2019 Diya Innovations opens doors of opportunities for adults with disabilities
- Parasports June 23, 2019 Deaf shooter Dhanush Srikanth stuns the world with performance in regular category
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines June 23, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News