PM says Congress expects to perform badly
May 18, 2019
Prime Minister Narendra Modi says that the Congress party statement that it will not insist on claiming the post of PM shows that the party expects to perform badly.
The PM said that the Congress, which "considers the PM's post its birth-right", is backing out even before the elections are over. After the sixth round of election, BJP President Amit Shah has predicted that the party's tally has crossed 300 seats.
Even before voting ends, before exit polls, before counting, (the Congress) is saying openly that it is ready to forgo its claim on the PM's post. While earlier they used to claim the PM's post for themselves, now they are saying, 'you first, you first'. They went so far as to say, 'we are not claiming anything, - Prime Minister Narendra Modi
He made these remarks after Ghulam Nabi Azad, a senior leader of the Congress said that Congress would not "make an issue" if the PM's post "is not offered to us".
Mr Azad's remark was seen as a climbdown for the party. Soon after party spokesperson Randeep Surjewala clarified, "As the single largest party we will have a stake on leadership but it will be dependent on the results".
Over the last week, Sonia Gandhi has been reaching out to opposition leaders, seeking their participation in at a meeting ahead of the results to prepare for various case scenarios. No formal meeting has been planned as of now by consensus. All parties have agreed that the meeting will be held as soon as the results are out which is likely to take place on the day of counting.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Education May 23, 2019 Hyderabad schools strictly warned not to deny admission to children with disabilities
- Get-hooked May 20, 2019 These friends banded together in the aftermath of the Kerala floods to help people with disabilities
- Employment May 19, 2019 At Indore workshop on workplace inclusion, corporates share learnings & inspiring stories
- Headlines May 23, 2019 Election 2019 - Sensex at 40K as leads show 2nd term for PM Modi
- Accessibility May 23, 2019 Curated tours, sign language interpreters planned in Kerala as part of Barrier Free Tourism project
- Headlines May 19, 2019 PM Modi responds to title of 'Divider in Chief'
- Accessibility May 22, 2019 Accessible Elections in India & lessons for the future
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News