PM says Congress expects to perform badly
May 18, 2019
Prime Minister Narendra Modi says that the Congress party statement that it will not insist on claiming the post of PM shows that the party expects to perform badly.
The PM said that the Congress, which "considers the PM's post its birth-right", is backing out even before the elections are over. After the sixth round of election, BJP President Amit Shah has predicted that the party's tally has crossed 300 seats.
Even before voting ends, before exit polls, before counting, (the Congress) is saying openly that it is ready to forgo its claim on the PM's post. While earlier they used to claim the PM's post for themselves, now they are saying, 'you first, you first'. They went so far as to say, 'we are not claiming anything, - Prime Minister Narendra Modi
He made these remarks after Ghulam Nabi Azad, a senior leader of the Congress said that Congress would not "make an issue" if the PM's post "is not offered to us".
Mr Azad's remark was seen as a climbdown for the party. Soon after party spokesperson Randeep Surjewala clarified, "As the single largest party we will have a stake on leadership but it will be dependent on the results".
Over the last week, Sonia Gandhi has been reaching out to opposition leaders, seeking their participation in at a meeting ahead of the results to prepare for various case scenarios. No formal meeting has been planned as of now by consensus. All parties have agreed that the meeting will be held as soon as the results are out which is likely to take place on the day of counting.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Employment July 19, 2019 Hatti Kaapi's coffee cups bring cheer for many reasons
- Get-hooked July 19, 2019 Inclusion Walkathon 2019 aims to spread the message of a world without barriers
- Get-hooked July 17, 2019 Relief for deaf youth studying at Bengaluru technical training centre
- Headlines July 19, 2019 One conviction in high profile murder of UK teen in Goa
- Headlines July 19, 2019 13 dead in Mumbai building collapse
- Employment July 19, 2019 India Fort in Kerala to offer youngsters with intellectual disabilities platform to showcase talents
- Events July 18, 2019 Inclusive Art : Shifting From Neurotypical Frameworks
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News