Seventh & final phase of voting in general elections today
May 19, 2019
India is gearing up for the last and final phase of elections today. Fifty-nine constituencies across seven states and one union territory will vote today, including Varanasi, Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s constituency. The results will be announced on 23 May.
Punjab, Himachal Pradesh and Chandigarh are among the states to make their voices heard today. So will certain constituencies of West Bengal, which has witnessed major turmoil, Bihar, Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh and Jharkhand.
Ahead of the final phase, Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley struck a positive note.
With seventh & final phase of 2019 LS elections approaching closure, groundswell in favour of Prime Minister Modi is becoming stronger. Except in the last few days, no political analyst had foreseen the velocity of this groundswell even in a State like Bengal. - Arun Jaitley, Union Minister of Finance & Corporate Affairs
The last six phases of election had gotten over during April and May. Over 90 crore voters will chose their leaders for the 543 Lok Sabha seats from across India. This election has seen a tough battle between BJP and Congress parties. Many parties teamed up after many years to campaign against the BJP, which seems confident of victory. "After the 5th & 6th phase of elections, it is evident that BJP is going to get majority & after the 7th phase, it is bound to cross 300 seats", said party president Amit Shah.
Meanwhile, ahead of the results Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu met Congress chief Rahul Gandhi in Delhi on Saturday and discussed plans to firm up on a non-BJP front to keep the ruling party out of power. He also met with Nationalist Congress Party chief Sharad Pawar.
This comes ahead of a massive meet of opposition leaders on 23 May hosted by UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi, to prepare for the possibility of a less than decisive verdict.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Technology June 20, 2019 #TechThursdays - Flexmo, a one-of-its-kind crutch, is engineered for all terrain types
- Events June 26, 2019 Talk Tools Workshop
- Events June 20, 2019 Mental Health Session
- Events June 26, 2019 Sign Language Workshop
- Parasports June 23, 2019 Deaf shooter Dhanush Srikanth stuns the world with performance in regular category
- Headlines June 22, 2019 Narendra Modi celebrates yoga day at Ranchi
- Get-hooked June 21, 2019 Uber India apology to disability rights activist not enough, call for concrete measures
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News