Para athlete Javed Choudhari to dance up a storm on reality show Dance Deewane
May 24, 2019
Javed Choudhari, the para athlete who became a social media star after a video of his dance went viral has been chosen for the Dance Deewaane reality show on Colors TV. He talks to NewzHook about how he plans to impress judge Madhuri Dixit with his moves.
When Javed Choudhari broke into a dance to popular tune Zingat at the end of the Pune Marathon last year, little did he know how far this spontaneous act would take him.
Twenty-five-year old Javed has cleared three selection rounds to be chosen for the popular dance reality show Dance Deewane on Colours TV. The song he chose for the rounds was, well no surprises there, Zingat.
The promo of the show is already out and watching Javed’s moves, you get a fair idea of just how good he is —
Before he lost his right leg in a bike accident in 2015 in Lonar, Maharashtra, Javed used to participate in dance competitions regularly. After the accident, he took up wheelchair basketball and excelled at it. He now plays for the national wheelchair basketball side.
In the initial years after the accident, I paid attention to basketball. Gradually I resumed dancing and when that video went viral, I started getting offers to take part in dance competitions, so I took it up again. - Javed Choudhari, Para athlete & Dancer
Two years ago, he met Prathmesh Kohasander who runs the R K Dance Academy in Pune. Watching his moves, Prathamesh saw his interest and decided to help him improve his skills.
“I saw his passion and commitment and decided to help him further. I modified my training a little to suit his specific needs. As he does not have a right leg, I changed my methods accordingly. What I like most about him is that he has not allowed disability to come in the ay of going out into the world and doing his best, says Prathmesh.
Prathmesh posted a video of Javed dancing to Zingat on various social media platforms and this got the attention of the show producers. Now that he has made it, Javed plans to work hard and impress the judges, one of whom is former Bollywood star Madhuri Dixit, renowned for her dancing prowess.
“So far I have danced to my songs but now they will give me the songs and it will be dependent on the votes I get. I am going to do my best to make sure I win, says Javed.
It is this positive attitude that his childhood friend Anil Irathkar respects most about Javed. “Even after the accident, he was upbeat right through the time he was wheeled into the operation theatre and even in casualty," recalls Anil. "I know him for 20 years now and even after his leg was amputated, he was not shattered or under-confident. That makes him such a wonderful role model because he has dealt with his circumstances so well."
It’s an attitude he brings to the basketball court as well. “What makes him such a star on the basketball court is his endless positivity, says Captain Louis George, Captain, Maharashtra Wheelchair Basketball Team.."He is always cheerful. He generates positive energy wherever he goes and above all he is a team player, which makes him an asset".
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked July 16, 2019 NGO Sreesh Mandiram was born out of a couple's experience coping with disability
- Get-hooked July 15, 2019 Sibaji Panda is bringing Indian sign language to the forefront
- Get-hooked July 15, 2019 Freedom Carnival 2019 celebrates inclusion with children with disabilities
- Events July 16, 2019 Living Well with Epilepsy: An Interactive Session
- Events July 11, 2019 Workshop: Behavior as a communication tool
- Get-hooked July 13, 2019 #RareDiseases - Organisation for Rare Diseases in India is out to change perceptions
- Events July 11, 2019 Inclusive Art Therapy Workshop
- Employment July 12, 2019 These disabled women are making prosthetic aids that are enabling mobility for others
- Headlines July 13, 2019 Kangana accuses media of defamation
- Events July 11, 2019 Ensuring Safety of Children with Disability
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News