NaMo all the way, BJP-led alliance returns with thumping majority
May 23, 2019
Prime Minister Narendra Modi's BJP crossed the halfway mark on its own steam and the ruling National Democratic Alliance made a clean sweep in the national elections within two hours of counting of votes.
Just a few minutes back, the PM tweeted:
Together we grow. Together we prosper. Together we will build a strong and inclusive India. India wins yet again! #VijayiBharat - Prime Minister Narendra Modi
The party has asked 20,000 workers to come to the BJP headquarters in Delhi this evening. The large gathering is being planned for a grand welcome for PM Modi. All winning candidates have been told to reach Delhi by 25 May.Exit polls had predicted that the BJP-led National Democratic Alliance would win 300-plus seats in the 543-member Lok Sabha.
"Many congratulations to Prime Minister Narendra Modi for delivering such a massive victory for the Bharatiya Janata Party," tweeted Foreign Minister Sushma Swaraj. "I express my gratitude to the people of the country." Union Minister Suresh Prabhu said, "It’s nothing short of a landslide,a political tsunami sweeping entire country,East or west @BJP4India is the best, is a reality.North to South people have voted for a clear, unambiguous choice, country must progress further under leadership of PM Modi".
The BJP did well in most states, including the three heartland states of Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh, which the Congress won in December. It did well in Karnataka as well which puts the ruling Congress-led coalition government in the state in an insecure position.
In Uttar Pradesh, which sends the largest number of MLAs to the Lok Sabha, the BJP had a huge early lead over the Mayawati-Akhilesh Yadav alliance. A good performance in this state is essential for any party ruling in the Centre.
In West Bengal, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee stayed ahead but results show that the BJP has made huge inroads. The BJP made huge gains in Odisha as well and this helped make up for losses it suffered elsewhere.
On Twitter, Banerjee said,"Congratulations to the winners. But all losers are not losers. We have to do a complete review and then we will share our views with you all. Let the counting process be completed fully and the VVPATs matched."
The Congress did well in Punjab and Tamil Nadu, where it joined hands with the DMK.
Over the last five years, PM has been credited with building a strong foreign policy and high-profile campaigns like Swachh Bharat and Make-in-India. But he has been attacked over an economy slowdown, failure to create jobs, the agriculture crisis and rising hate crimes.
In a graceful gesture, National Conference leader Omar Abdullah gave credit to PM Modi and BJP president Amit Shah for their party's performance. "Credit where credit is due PM Modi Sahib & Mr Amit Shah put together a winning alliance & a very professional campaign. Bring on the next five years," Abdullah tweeted.
Watch in Sign Language
- Father pleads guilty in death of adoptive disabled child
June 27, 2019
- Salman Khan accused of assault, robbery
June 27, 2019
- PM responds to Jharkhand lynching
June 27, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events June 20, 2019 Anxiety Disorders & Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Accessibility June 24, 2019 Buttons 2 Button is an adaptive clothing idea straight from a mom's heart
- Headlines June 23, 2019 Rahul Gandhi criticised for mocking Dog Squad yoga picture
- Headlines June 27, 2019 Father pleads guilty in death of adoptive disabled child
- Accessibility June 26, 2019 Introduction of a wheelchair ramp might not be just what disability rights groups in Chennai asked for
- Headlines June 22, 2019 Injury scares hit Indian cricket team
- Accessibility June 22, 2019 With no hearing test facility at Delhi's Safdarjung Hospital, disabled students miss NEET counselling
- Get-hooked June 25, 2019 New study highlights importance of educating & training for children with autism
- Parasports June 20, 2019 Sonakshi Sinha likely to play the part of Paralympian Deepa Malik
- Accessibility June 26, 2019 Social media thread highlights barriers faced by disabled candidates at exam halls across India
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines June 23, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News