Rahul concedes defeat, congratulates PM
May 24, 2019
Rahul Gandhi, president of the Congress party, congratulated Prime Minister Narendra Modi evening for his spectacular re-election. He asked him to "take care of the interests of the country".
Gandhi also conceded defeat in Amethi, asking political opponent and BJP leader Smriti Irani to "nurture with love" the constituency that has been with his family for 40 years. There are reports that he offered to resign as President of the Congress. The party is not likely to accept.
Gandhi has been elected to parliament from Wayanad in Kerala. This was the second constituency he had chosen and when he had filed from here, the BJP had accused him of running scared from Amethi.
Gandhi would not take questions from the press about the reasons for his party's massive defeat. ""Today is not the day for that," he said, claiming that attention must remain for now on PM Modi's victory and the clear choice of the people.
He congratulated PM Modi twice and said "janata maalik hai" (we report to the people). To his party workers, he said, fear not ("daro mat"). "We will win eventually," he said, and called the battle between the Congress and BJP a contest of ideologies.
Gandhi's leadership will be watched closely now. At the end of 2018, the Congress's hopes of displacing PM Modi rose after it won the key states of Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh and Rajasthan from the BJP in state elections.
I accept the verdict of the people of India ðŸ‡®ðŸ‡³Congratulations to the winners, Mr Modi & the NDA. Thank you to the people of Wayanad for electing me as your MP. Thank you also to the people of Amethi. Thank you Congress workers & leaders for your hard work in this campaign.- Rahul Gandhi, Congress party president
Sp, what went wrong for the Congress? One, the party fumbled communications on key policies. But the big mistake was its unwillingness to strike pre-election alliances in states like Uttar Pradesh. In many areas, the the party was seen as putting its own plans for comeback ahead of the need for a combined opposition attempt to block Mr Modi.
Gandhi is also being blamed for starting too late on TV interviews. His slogan "chowkidar chor hai", also backfired, feel many senior Congress leaders who spoke to the media, off the record.
His defeat in Amethi, a Congress stronghold, shows how far the Congress and Gandhi family's appeal has declined.
Watch in Sign Language
- Death toll rises, lakhs left homeless in Assam floods
July 17, 2019
- England’s World Cup win clouded by ICC rule controversy
July 17, 2019
- Pakistan opens airspace after 140 days
July 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked July 12, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Get-hooked July 14, 2019 An instinctive, nurturing approach enables this music teacher to unearth talents in disabled students
- Get-hooked July 15, 2019 Sibaji Panda is bringing Indian sign language to the forefront
- Get-hooked July 15, 2019 Saswati Singh's efforts to empower people with disabilities takes off as Nav Prerna Foundation
- Headlines July 14, 2019 Middle order batsman failed, causing India's collapse, says coach
- Headlines July 16, 2019 Over 50 people dead, 30 missing in Nepal floods
- Get-hooked July 12, 2019 A born artist, Mashood believes in living life, king size!
- Headlines July 11, 2019 Karnataka political drama unfolds outside Mumbai hotel
- Technology July 12, 2019 Excessive TV watching could trigger symptoms of ADHD in kids, says study
- Headlines July 13, 2019 Hrithik Roshan’s ‘Super 30’ hits theatres
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News