18 children killed in fire at Surat building
May 25, 2019
In a shocking incident, more than 18 children lost their lives in a fire accident at Surat in Gujarat. Over 15 children were critically injured and have been admitted in different hospitals across the city. Most of them were saved because they jumped off from the fourth floor of the Takshashila building which caught fire. The building is a commercial complex in the heart of Surat. According to reports, most of the children were of the age group between 14 to 17 years.
Extremely anguished by the fire tragedy in Surat. My thoughts are with bereaved families. May the injured recover quickly. Have asked the Gujarat Government and local authorities to provide all possible assistance to those affected-Narendra Modi, Prime Minister of India
Initial reports say that the building caught fire after short circuit. But nothing has been confirmed. Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani has ordered for a high level enquiry and investigation into the matter. A compensation of Rs 4 lakh will be given to families of the victims. The fire reportedly broke out by 3.30 pm on Friday.
According to reports, the number of casualties is likely to rise. Witnesses took a video of the students jumping off from the building which had gone viral.
“Deeply saddened by the news of Surat fire tragedy. Instructed officials to do needful. My prayers are with all those affected. May those who have been injured recover at the earliest. I pray for the departed souls. Om Shanti”, tweeted Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani.
“Deeply anguished by the loss of lives due to a tragic fire accident in Surat, Gujarat. My condolences with the bereaved families. I pray for the speedy recovery of those injured. I urge our karyakartas of BJP Surat unit to assist the people in need”, tweeted Amit Shah, National President, BJP.
Watch in Sign Language
- Father pleads guilty in death of adoptive disabled child
June 27, 2019
- Salman Khan accused of assault, robbery
June 27, 2019
- PM responds to Jharkhand lynching
June 27, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events June 26, 2019 Talk Tools Workshop
- Parasports June 27, 2019 Bengaluru to play host to national blind football tournament
- Accessibility June 24, 2019 Buttons 2 Button is an adaptive clothing idea straight from a mom's heart
- Get-hooked June 25, 2019 Driving change in attitudes towards disability in Jammu-Kashmir - My Take by Dildar Ahmad Shapoo
- Events June 26, 2019 Music therapy for special needs children
- Education June 27, 2019 #ChangeMakers - Sonia Jaitley believes in helping children with disabilities unlock their strengths
- Get-hooked June 25, 2019 Snehankit Helpline for visually impaired students is helping them shine in academics
- Parasports June 20, 2019 Sonakshi Sinha likely to play the part of Paralympian Deepa Malik
- Get-hooked June 26, 2019 Nationwide contest seeks to unearth and showcase talented blind cooks
- Accessibility June 22, 2019 With no hearing test facility at Delhi's Safdarjung Hospital, disabled students miss NEET counselling
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News