PM Modi to be sworn in on 30 May
May 27, 2019
Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who has been re-elected with a massive majority for a second term, will take oath at the Rashtrapati Bhavan on Thursday, 30 May. The ceremony will take place at 7 PM, tweeted President Ram Nath Kovind on Sunday. PM Modi had met President Kovind and staked a claim to form a government at the centre on Saturday evening. The BJP-led National Democratic Alliance has won a resounding majority in the Lok Sabha elections on Thursday, winning 352 seats in the 545-member lower house of Parliament.
Names of new ministers are still a secret. The cabinet of ministers will also take oath on Thursday.
The President will administer the oath of office and secrecy to the Prime Minister and other members of the Union Council of Ministers at 7 pm on May 30, 2019, at Rashtrapati Bhavan - President of India (@rashtrapatibhvn)
In a speech on Saturday to the new BJP MP's elected to Parliament, Prime Minister Narendra Modi,set out the agenda. He had five commandments for the present.
One of the main commandments was to stay away from VIP culture. "This country hates VIP culture. We should not be offended if there is checking at airports," he said. He also added that if any member caused trouble at the airport, someone would click pictures and put them on social media.
PM Modi also warned MPs against making statements on the media. This was seen as aimed at first-time MPs like Pragya Singh Thakur, who has made a series of outrageous statements. He also told those present not to fall for media speculation on who could become ministers."Many Narendra Modis have sprouted in this country and they have formed cabinets," he quipped, adding, "Ministers are not made on the pages of a newspaper, nor removed."
He urged MPs to make a change in their tone, conduct and thinking. He also said that minorities had been cheated by the opposition and that this must stop immediately. "We have worked for sabka saath, sabka vikas, now sabka vishwas is our mantra. The way the poor have been cheated, the minorities have been deceived the same way. It would have been good if their education, their health had been taken care of. In 2019, I expect you to punch a hole in that deception. We have to earn their trust".
The resolution to elect PM Modi was moved by the chief alliance partners including Lok Janshakti Party chief Ram Vilas Paswan and other leaders of the NDA.
"The people have accepted Narendra Modi experiment again from their heart", said BJP president Amit Shah. "I want to say this about Modiji, whom I have worked with for 20 years, he has not taken even a day off. He has worked 18 hours a day".
Watch in Sign Language
- Death toll rises, lakhs left homeless in Assam floods
July 17, 2019
- England’s World Cup win clouded by ICC rule controversy
July 17, 2019
- Pakistan opens airspace after 140 days
July 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Lifestyle July 17, 2019 No lace sports shoes for kids – Affordable, convenient and takes away the pain!
- Get-hooked July 10, 2019 Twitter hashtag sets off important conversation about worst disability "compliments"
- Headlines July 14, 2019 Middle order batsman failed, causing India's collapse, says coach
- Headlines July 10, 2019 India-New Zealand match enters reserve day
- Events July 11, 2019 Ask Me Anything
- Headlines July 12, 2019 India celebrates with Dutee Chand
- Headlines July 16, 2019 Reports of rift within Indian cricket team to be probed
- Get-hooked July 13, 2019 Parenting corner - Autism and Aggression
- Education July 17, 2019 Kerala High Court upholds guidelines for therapy centres in the state
- Events July 11, 2019 Workshop: Accommodating Diversities
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News