Benefits of possessing a disability certificate
A disability certificate is a document that can be used by people with disabilities to avail some benefits and facilities meant for people of the disabled community.As per the 2011 consensus there are around 3 crore disabled people in the country.
There are several schemes that the government in India runs for disabled people and a disability certificate is needed to get the benefits of these.
I feel it is important to get a disability certificate as it helps get benefits and exemptions in many scenarios. Since government offers benefits to people with disabilities, making a little effort to get the document made should not be a huge hurdle. All people with disabilities should get their relevant documents to ensure that they get benefits that re rightfully theirs. Payal Jethra, bank employee.
Apart from availing reservation in education, employment, there are several other uses of the disability certificate. The benefits offered may vary from region to region and state to state while also depending on type and extent of disability.
Some general benefits that can be availed are as follows:
- Scholarship schemes for students with disabilities
- Extra exam times for students with disabilities
- Concession in railway fare, government airlines
- Rebate in income tax returns
- Reservation in government jobs
- Free travel in state transport buses
- Loan for starting own business
- Subsidized medical aids, prosthetic aids, assistive devices such as wheelchairs, tricycles.
- Group insurance for government employees with disabilities
- Unemployment allowance to educated disabled persons
- Conveyance allowance - for central government employees who are handicapped
- Increased allowances under PDS (ration) schemes
- Preference in land allotment/housing schemes
- Filing complaints before the Commissioner for Disabilities
- Free education - for children between 6 to 12 years
- Disability Pensions
A disability certificate is a lifelong document and is valid for life. In case the certificate of disabled children has been made before the age of 18 years, it has to be updated once in every five years. In case of permanent disability a fresh medical examination is not required to be carried out."As a student, I think a disability certificate is a useful document and helps get extra time during exams and tests. We don't have to wait in queues in hospitals if we have a certificate and I would advise that everyone should avail of the benefits that come with a disability certificate, says Sachin Malik, student
Disability certificate can be obtained by people with permanent and temporary disabilities. Those with temporary disabilities need to get the certificate renewed after every 5 years.Disability certificate is an important document and although it is not compulsory to have one, it is quite beneficial for people with disabilities.
ALSO READ: How to register online for a UDID card