Ruma Roka from Noida is equipping the deaf with skills & training
For the last 15 years, Ruma Roka, founder of the Noida Deaf Society, has been trying to improve the quality of life of deaf people through quality education and specialized vocational training.
A housewife, Ruma started NDS from her flat with five students. Today the NDS has reached out to 4500 deaf people and placed over 1200 in IT, hospitality, banking and retail.
NDS has six centres across India with 32 full-time trainers. It has also tied up with the Indian government and plans to open a centre to train people with disabilities.
Watch in Sign Language
- 5 things you must know about wheelchair users
November 18, 2018
- Trending stories on Newzhook this week!
November 17, 2018
- What made Stan Lee's superheroes so magical for children with autism
November 17, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports November 18, 2018 Shekhar Naik Foundation gives hope to aspiring blind cricketers
- Get-hooked November 15, 2018 Prince Durairaj is on a mission to spread awareness on child sexual abuse
- Get-hooked November 17, 2018 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 – Multiple Disabilities
- Headlines November 15, 2018 Congress fields Ashok Gehlot, Sachin Pilot in Rajasthan, no clarity on who will be CM
- Get-hooked November 13, 2018 Some shopping tips for blind people
- Get-hooked November 16, 2018 Some tips to make learning fun for children with autism
- Technology November 12, 2018 Manovue glove opens doors to visually impaired people who do not know Braille
- Headlines November 13, 2018 Actor Akshay Kumar says he never met self-styled god man Ram Rahim
- Get-hooked November 14, 2018 Small touches that make love stronger when you date a deaf person
- Headlines November 18, 2018 Delhi on high alert after threat of terror attack
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked November 14, 2018
Get-hooked November 16, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News