India slams Pakistan for intimidating guests at embassy event
June 4, 2019
The government of India has issued a strong statement against the intimidation of guests called to an Iftar event hosted by the Indian embassy in Islamabad over the weekend. In a letter, the High Commission of India criticised "a concerted campaign... by Pakistan's security agencies" that prevented the commission from hosting the fast-breaking meal. It has called this a violation of "basic norms of diplomatic conduct" and "all notions of civilized behaviour".
The letter has asked the government of Pakistan to "urgently investigate these ugly events" and share the results of the investigation with the High Commission.
Many guests from the diplomatic community based in Islamabad were also subjected to harassment. In complete violation of diplomatic norms, a large Pakistani security detachment, equipped with fork lifts, was detailed outside Serena hotel to aggressively turn away Pakistani citizens. - Ajay Bisaria, High Commissioner of India to Pakistan
Video footage of the incident clearly shows Pakistan's security forces stopping and turning away a black car and confronting guests in an aggressive manner.
Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan and President Arif Alvi were invited but did not attend the event. Others who were invited included politicians, community leaders, academics, etc.
Pakistani officials surrounded Hotel Serena, where the party was being hosted, and forced hundreds of guests to turn back. This is not the first such incident. Last month, two Indian diplomats coordinating Sikh pilgrims at Gurdwara Sacha Sauda Gurdwara near Lahore were locked up in a room for over 20 minutes. The diplomats were threatened and told never return.
Earlier this week, the Pakistan High Commission in Delhi hosted an Iftar dinner, where many people were invited.
Watch in Sign Language
- Death toll rises, lakhs left homeless in Assam floods
July 17, 2019
- England’s World Cup win clouded by ICC rule controversy
July 17, 2019
- Pakistan opens airspace after 140 days
July 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events July 11, 2019 Workshop: Behavior as a communication tool
- Events July 11, 2019 South Zone Regional Abilympics
- Events July 11, 2019 Special buddies program (Basic group)
- Events July 11, 2019 Ask Me Anything
- Parasports July 14, 2019 Para chess champ Jennitha Anto does India proud yet again
- Get-hooked July 10, 2019 Spirited & strong minded, Preetha Thonnakkal lives life to the fullest
- Headlines July 14, 2019 6 dead, lakhs homeless in Assam floods
- Employment July 12, 2019 These disabled women are making prosthetic aids that are enabling mobility for others
- Events July 11, 2019 Gala Dance Party
- Headlines July 13, 2019 Kangana accuses media of defamation
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News