Ex-union minister Aslam Sher Khan offers to replace Rahul Gandhi
June 9, 2019
Former Olympic hockey player and ex union minister Aslam Sher Khan has offered to replace Rahul Gandhi as the president of the Congress party for a period of two years.
Rahul Gandhi has been firm that he will no longer head the party but will continue to work for it.
Speaking to the news agency ANI, Khan said,
I wrote the letter when Rahul Gandhi offered to leave the post of Congress President and asked someone from outside the Nehru-Gandhi family to take over his role. In the letter, I mentioned that if Rahul (Gandhi) wanted to continue at the post he very well could, but if not, then I would like to assume the responsibility for two years. - Aslam Sher Khan, Former Union Minister
Khan is the first leader to stake claim to the post after Rahul Gandhi said he would resign at a meeting of the Congress Working Committee (CWC) in New Delhi on 25 May. This was said following teh poor performance of the Congress party in the Lok Sabha elections. The CWC had rejected the offer and passed a new resolution, authorising him to change the organisation.
Khan said he wanted to help with a makeover of the party and was not looking for personal gains. "The letter was not written for personal gains. It is because I believe Congress needs a makeover and it needs to be realigned with the nationalist identity. It is because of these reasons that I became ready to assume the responsibilities when the party is going through tough times".
Khan also said he did not blame Rahul Gandhi for the Congress loss as "he left no stone unturned but the narrative of the Congress simply failed to connect with the people and they again went with Narendra Modi. No doubt a change is needed and if someone who is a better candidate than me, can also be given the role," he said.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-Hooked August 14, 2019 Delhi Public School Bengaluru North brings an inclusive touch to its crowdfunding initiatives
- Get-Hooked August 16, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend 17 Aug-18 Aug
- Headlines August 19, 2019 Heavy rains bring down temperatures in Delhi
- Parasports August 15, 2019 Sekhar Goud is India's first triple amputee to scale Mount Elburus in Russia twice
- Headlines August 15, 2019 Abhinandan Varthaman to get Vir Chakra on Independence Day
- Get-Hooked August 14, 2019 Young innovator Prashant Gade seeks support to give prosthetic arms for free to the needy
- Get-Hooked August 18, 2019 Kerala minister K K Shailaja steps in for deaf child affected in the floods
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines August 6, 2019
Headlines August 14, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News