Rich tributes paid to veteran actor Girish Karnad
June 11, 2019
Veteran actor, director and playwright Girish Karnad passed away yesterday at the age of 81 years. Karnad is reported to have been ill for a few years and breathed his last at his residence in Bengaluru.
In keeping with his last wishes, the family of the actor refused to cremate him with a floral procession or visits by VIPs and the last rites of the much loved actor were performed in a simple ceremony.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi made a statement on social media:
Girish Karnad will be remembered for his versatile acting across all mediums. He also spoke passionately on causes dear to him. His works will continue being popular in the years to come. Saddened by his demise. May his soul rest in peace. - Prime Minister Narendra Modi
Girish Karnad had acted in several Kannada and Hindi movies and also wrote some very successful and critically acclaimed plays during his career.
He had received several prestigious awards during his life time including the Padma Shri, Padma Bhushan and Jnanpith Award for his contribution to arts.
The first movie he acted in was the Kannada film 'Samskara' in 1970. Several members of the Indian film industry expressed their grief on social media.
Actor Shabana Azmi who had worked in iconic movies such as Swami and Nishaant with Girish Karnad took to twitter.
Shabana Azmi, who had acted with him in many films tweeted, "Deeply saddened to learn about Girish Karnad. Haven't yet been able to speak with his family. It's been a friendship of 43 years and I need the privacy to mourn him. I request the media to kindly excuse me from giving quotes."
"I met Girish Karnad way back when he was the principal of the film institute & then worked with him in Pukar. He was a great man & playwright. His stories will forever remain in our hearts & minds. Sending my prayers & heartfelt condolences to his family, tweeted actor Anil Kapoor
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy announced three-day state mourning and one-day public holiday to honor the memory of the multifaceted actor.
Watch in Sign Language
- Heavy rains bring down temperatures in Delhi
August 19, 2019
- Kerala nun seeks justice from the Vatican
August 19, 2019
- #InclusionChamps – Ankita Gulati wins Universal Design Award 2019 for TouchVision
August 19, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-Hooked August 16, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend 17 Aug-18 Aug
- Get-Hooked August 16, 2019 Kuldeep Devendra Rawal wants to be a change maker using the power of music
- Parasports August 15, 2019 #IStandIndependent - Disability led Madhusudan to discover a talent for wheelchair tennis
- Events August 14, 2019 Unity through Performing Arts
- Headlines August 13, 2019 Indian wins Tri-Nation Under-19s Tournament title
- Headlines August 19, 2019 Ex-minister Arun Jaitley on life support
- Headlines August 14, 2019 Arrest warrant against Congress MP Shashi Tharoor
- Parasports August 19, 2019 Indian para athletes hold the flag high at 2019 World Para Athletics Grand Prix
- Get-Hooked August 17, 2019 Alleged sexual harassment of child with autism in Kerala highlights need for tougher rules
- Events August 14, 2019 Deaf short film Festival 2019
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines August 15, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News