Doctors call off strike after meeting with Mamata Banerjee
June 18, 2019
The protests by junior doctors in West Bengal has come to an end after seven days. The strike was called off after a meeting between West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee and representatives of the protesting doctors yesterday.
The doctor’s representatives said "We came here for discussion because we want a solution. We believe that you have good intentions. If possible, please take appropriate action against the unwanted incidents that have taken place."
Mamata Banerjee accepted the demand to increase the security of doctors in the state against attacks from the relatives of patients and also to set up grievance redressal cells in government hospitals.
As per reports, 31 representatives of the striking doctors from medical colleges across the state took part in the meeting.
Mamata Banerjee also announced that five people have been arrested for their involvement in the NRS Hospital violence.
"We are proud of our doctors. You may be angry with my government but please go back to work. I will be very happy if you announce the end of your ceasework now," said Mamata after the meeting.
The protests had started after an attack on two junior doctors last week and doctors from other states had also come out in support. One of the injured intern is still in critical condition.
The strike had affected thousands of patients and become a sore point with the West Bengal government.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events July 14, 2019 Masti Time: Come share your stories
- Education July 20, 2019 Updated MBBS curriculum with disability competencies to come into effect from 1 August, confirms MCI
- Events July 18, 2019 Exclusive Job Fair For Differently Abled
- Headlines July 14, 2019 Kumaraswamy calls for floor test amid political crisis
- Headlines July 19, 2019 Sylvester Stallone responds to Salman’s post on disabled fan
- Headlines July 20, 2019 Karnataka trust vote adjourned to Monday
- Get-hooked July 15, 2019 Sibaji Panda is bringing Indian sign language to the forefront
- Headlines July 19, 2019 ‘Chandrayaan 2’ mission rescheduled to 22 July
- Headlines July 16, 2019 Reports of rift within Indian cricket team to be probed
- Events July 16, 2019 International Autism Conference
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News