Aussie player Steve Smith praises Virat
June 19, 2019
India cricket captain Virat Kohli has been praised by former Australian cricket captain Steve Smith for asking Indian fans to stop booing him during a match between the two teams at the Kennington Oval on 9 June.
Indian fans were booing Smith who has returned to the Australian team after serving a one-year ban for ball-tampering. Kohli, while batting, made gestures to them to stop booing the Australian player. Smith has said that it was a lovely gesture from the Indian captain.
It was a lovely gesture by Virat. It doesn't really bother me what the crowds do to be perfectly honest. I am just blocking it all out but it was a lovely gesture from him. - Steve Smith, Australian cricketer
At a post-match press conference, Kohli apologised to Smith on behalf of the Indian crowd. "Just because there are so many Indian fans here, I just didn't want them to set a bad example, to be honest, because he didn't do anything to be booed in my opinion. He's just playing cricket. He was just standing there, and I felt bad because if I was in a position where something had happened with me and I had apologised, I accepted it and I came back and still I would get booed, I wouldn't like it either". Kohli added that he felt bad for Smith. "I told him, I'm sorry on behalf of the crowd because I've seen that happen in a few earlier games, as well, and in my opinion that's not acceptable".
Smith and David Warner have been repeatedly heckled on the field since their return to the Australian team following their bans for ball-tampering.
Kohli said he felt for Smith in his current situation "Look, I think what's happened has happened like long back, the guy is back, he's trying to play well for his side. Even in the IPL I saw him, it's not good to see someone down like that, to be honest. We've had issues in the past. We've had a few arguments on the field. But you don't want to see a guy feeling that heat every time he goes out to play. What's happened has happened. Everyone has known that. He's come back. He's worked hard. He's playing well for his side now".
Watch in Sign Language
- Death toll rises, lakhs left homeless in Assam floods
July 17, 2019
- England’s World Cup win clouded by ICC rule controversy
July 17, 2019
- Pakistan opens airspace after 140 days
July 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events July 11, 2019 Workshop: Behavior as a communication tool
- Headlines July 16, 2019 Reports of rift within Indian cricket team to be probed
- Events July 16, 2019 Swaras and More @ Mitr Cafe
- Accessibility July 11, 2019 Disabled music enthusiasts call adaptive gears the next big thing
- Get-hooked July 14, 2019 #RareDiseases - Indian Rett Syndrome Foundation is raising awareness about this genetic brain disorder
- Events July 11, 2019 Wilson’s Disease Support Group Meeting
- Events July 11, 2019 Gala Dance Party
- Headlines July 12, 2019 Al-Qaeda head calls for attack on J&K in video
- Headlines July 17, 2019 Death toll rises, lakhs left homeless in Assam floods
- Events July 11, 2019 Ensuring Safety of Children with Disability
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News