Encephalitis kills 108 people in Bihar
June 19, 2019
The number of deaths in Muzaffarpur area of Bihar due to Acute Encephalitis Syndrome-AES has reached 108. Overall 127 people have died in the state due to the disease.
Yesterday, Chief Minister Nitish Kumar visited Sri Krishna Medical College and Hospital and took stock of the situation after speaking to doctors and officials. At least 89 children have died at this particular hospital due to the disease while 19 others have died in Kejriwal Hospital in the area.
Most of the deaths have been caused by hypoglycemia or low blood sugar.
More than 300 people in Bihar have been diagnosed with AES so far and many have received treatment and eventual discharge from hospitals. The cause behind the outbreak of AES is still under investigation.
Sanjay Kumar , Principal Secretary of Health Department has said that the reason could be the children sleeping with an empty stomach with constant high fever, dehydration and glucose level abnormalities.
Health department officials have advised that parents should not feed their children litchis on an empty stomach.
AES-Acute Encephalitis Syndrome is a term used to describe infections that affect the central nervous system and is common in children and young adults. It is caused by a certain virus, fungi or a bacteria that may attack the body and is also known as brain fever.
The common symptoms of this condition are high fever that affects neurological functions and result in mental disorientation, seizure, confusion, delirium, Hypoglycemia, coma.
Social activist Tamanna Hashmi has filed case against the Union Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan and Bihar Health Minister Mangal Panday for not taking the deaths of over hundred children seriously and the case will be heard June 24 in a local Magistrate’s court.
A plea has also been filed in the Supreme Court demanding center government’s intervention in the matter and taking it up as a medical emergency.
Congress's chief spokesperson Randeep Surjewala tweeted, In 2014, 139 children were killed in Muzaffarpur. In 2019, 104 children killed in Muzaffarpur. Same minister, Shri Harsh Vardhan, same reasons, same promises, no work, all talk.
Watch in Sign Language
- Death toll rises, lakhs left homeless in Assam floods
July 17, 2019
- England’s World Cup win clouded by ICC rule controversy
July 17, 2019
- Pakistan opens airspace after 140 days
July 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events July 16, 2019 International Autism Conference
- Headlines July 13, 2019 Rohit Sharma to lead India for West Indies series
- Get-hooked July 15, 2019 Sibaji Panda is bringing Indian sign language to the forefront
- Get-hooked July 13, 2019 #RareDiseases - Organisation for Rare Diseases in India is out to change perceptions
- Get-hooked July 15, 2019 Saswati Singh's efforts to empower people with disabilities takes off as Nav Prerna Foundation
- Events July 11, 2019 Workshop: Accommodating Diversities
- Events July 11, 2019 Inclusive Art Therapy Workshop
- Technology July 12, 2019 Excessive TV watching could trigger symptoms of ADHD in kids, says study
- Headlines July 15, 2019 England wins 2019 World Cup trophy
- Headlines July 11, 2019 Kangana faces boycott threat from media
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News