Chennai hit by worst water crisis
June 20, 2019
Chennai is going through the worst water crisis this summer. The ground water levels have fallen and people are relying on water tankers for drinking and washing purposes. Meanwhile, the Chennai Metro Water has cut the supply of piped water by 40 percent. In a city that requires at least 800 million litres of water every day, this acute shortage is leading to the worst crisis of the decade. According to experts, the situation is going to worsen in days to come.
Chennai is again facing water crisis. A few thoughts: 1. It's pretty bad! City reservoirs are reportedly empty 2. It's not just Chennai -- much of India has been suffering historic droughts and heatwaves. Years of weak monsoons = very worrying-Nick Hagerty, Environmental Economist
Taking advantage of the situation, water tanker owners have doubled the price for their services. Officials have warned the owners to not over charge during this crisis time. Reportedly, most of the reservoirs that supply water to Tamil Nadu’s capital city are in the verge of drying out. People from economically backward families are struggling to get drinking water in the scorching heat. The government has not yet stepped up to take any measures to reach out to people.
“With #Chennai metro water supply cut by 40%, water is available in most areas on tap in homes for hardly an hour leaving everyone at the mercy of water tankers, tweeted Smitha TK.
Rains are expected to hit Chennai in a month. Experts point out that this might better the situation in the city which is undergoing worst times.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports July 18, 2019 Dhoni is India’s pride & should stay - India's para cricketers root for the legend
- Events July 14, 2019 Masti Time: Come share your stories
- Get-hooked July 17, 2019 Relief for deaf youth studying at Bengaluru technical training centre
- Headlines July 17, 2019 Death toll rises, lakhs left homeless in Assam floods
- Get-hooked July 16, 2019 Skills training programme for people with autism in Ernakulam
- Get-hooked July 18, 2019 #RareDiseases - Poor awareness & support among the challenges people with Sturge-Weber syndrome face in India
- Parasports July 14, 2019 Para chess champ Jennitha Anto does India proud yet again
- Headlines July 15, 2019 ‘Chandrayaan 2’ launch called off after technical slag
- Headlines July 21, 2019 Indians on board British ship seized by Iran
- Get-hooked July 16, 2019 NGO Sreesh Mandiram was born out of a couple's experience coping with disability
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News