Imran Khan trolled after he quotes Tagore as Gibran
June 21, 2019
Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan has been the target of jokes on social media after he posted a quote by Rabindranath Tagore on his official Twitter account, but attributed it to Lebanese writer and poet Kahlil Gibran.
Khan posted the inspirational quote on Twitter that read, "I slept and I dreamed that life is all joy. I woke and I saw that life is all service. I served and I saw that service is joy." He also posted a caption along side that said:
Those who discover and get to understand the wisdom of Gibran's words, cited below, get to live a life of contentment. - Imran Khan, Pakistan Prime Minister
The original quote by Nobel laureate Rabindranath Tagore says,"I slept and dreamt that life was joy. I awoke and saw that life was service. I acted and behold, service was joy".
Twitter was quick to notice and the comments were harsh. Pakistani journalist Azhar Abbas said, "Prime Minister, I think these are Tagore's words". Another comment was - "Nice quotes but these are Shri Rabindranath Tagore's words" while another person advised him to get "an educated and informed social media team."
The comments got harsher - "Is he really prime minister or what, don't even check whose quote it is before tweeting philosophy related to quote".
Khan was trolled earlier this month as well when he "broke protocol" when he met the Saudi King Salman bin Abdulaziz at the Organisation of Islam summit. In a video widely shared on Twitter, Khan walked off shortly after speaking to the Saudi King's interpreter before his message could be translated, and left the king alone.
Khan was severely criticised, both by people in his country and in Saudi Arabia for not showing respect to the king. This was followed by another mistake at the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation Summit last week. Khan kept sitting while everyone else stood to welcome the head of states entering the hall at the opening ceremony of the celebrated summit.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked July 16, 2019 NGO Sreesh Mandiram was born out of a couple's experience coping with disability
- Headlines July 19, 2019 ‘Chandrayaan 2’ mission rescheduled to 22 July
- Parasports July 18, 2019 Dhoni is India’s pride & should stay - India's para cricketers root for the legend
- Get-hooked July 20, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Accessibility July 15, 2019 Western Railways’ monsoon helpdesks for disabled people, elderly are a winning idea
- Events July 19, 2019 Human Festival - Inclusive Art Music Festival
- Headlines July 20, 2019 Sachin is sixth Indian cricket Hall of Fame
- Get-hooked July 19, 2019 Australia refuses entry to Kerala Catholic priest for comparing kids with autism to animals
- Headlines July 19, 2019 13 dead in Mumbai building collapse
- Headlines July 21, 2019 India’s Windies tour starts 3 August
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News