Injury scares hit Indian cricket team
June 22, 2019
The Indian cricket team seems to be getting hit by one injury after another. The latest is Vijay Shankar, the Indian all-rounder, who faced an injury scare after being hit on the toe during a training session. Shankar wa sforced to skip practice after that.
A yorker by Jasprit Bumrah hit Shankar on his toes, causing considerable agony. Bumrah, whose delivery hurt Shankar, said,
We don't obviously want to injure the batsman. Sometimes, when you play in the nets, nobody tells the batsmen not to hit. So they hit as well. It was unfortunate that he (Shankar) got hit. This is part and parcel of the game. But he is okay, he is fine. - Jasprit Bumrah, Indian bowler
Shikhar Dhawan has already been ruled out of the World Cup tournament after he fractured his thumb while Bhuvneshwar Kumar is out for two games due to a hamstring strain. Shankar's injury will add to the tension for the team management.
Bhuvneshwar will not be able to bowl for eight days. He will be able to play the game against England on 30 June in Birmingham. If he has torn his hamstring, there is little chance of his comeback in the World Cup.
This means Khaleel Ahmed, the stand-by pacer, will come in if Bhuvneshwar has to be replaced. There is also the experienced Ishant Sharma as he is also among the reserves.
While saying Dhawan's exit was a setback, Bumrah said K L Rahul is doing a good job as an opener. "He is an important member and has been doing so well for so many years. Especially in ICC tournaments, his record is so good. It's unfortunate incident that happened but you have to move forward and keep going," said Bumrah. "Rahul was playing No 4 as well and he adapted. Against Australia, he got a few balls, but he hit those balls well. So he can adjust according to the situation. He can accelerate. So it doesn't give us headache if we are facing any injury".
Watch in Sign Language
- Death toll rises, lakhs left homeless in Assam floods
July 17, 2019
- England’s World Cup win clouded by ICC rule controversy
July 17, 2019
- Pakistan opens airspace after 140 days
July 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines July 17, 2019 England’s World Cup win clouded by ICC rule controversy
- Get-hooked July 13, 2019 Parenting corner - Autism and Aggression
- Events July 11, 2019 South Zone Regional Abilympics
- Events July 11, 2019 Special buddies program (Basic group)
- Events July 16, 2019 Living Well with Epilepsy: An Interactive Session
- Get-hooked July 14, 2019 An instinctive, nurturing approach enables this music teacher to unearth talents in disabled students
- Events July 11, 2019 Workshop: Behavior as a communication tool
- Headlines July 10, 2019 India-New Zealand match enters reserve day
- Headlines July 16, 2019 Reports of rift within Indian cricket team to be probed
- Get-hooked July 13, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News