11 arrested in Jharkhand lynching case
June 26, 2019
The killing of a 24 year old man in Jharkhand at the hands of a mob is being investigated by a Special investigation Team. The SIT has been asked to submit its report to the Home Secretary and the Chief Secretary by Wednesday.
The victim Tabrez Ansari was beaten up for several hours by the mob after they accused him of stealing a motorcycle last week. He was later handed over to the police and died due to injuries when he was taken to hospital four days after the incident.
Shahista Parveen, the wife of Tabrez has said, "He was mercilessly beaten as he was Muslim. I don't have anybody, no in-laws. My husband was my only support. I want justice".
The videos of the gruesome attack were circulated on social media and showed the mob forcing Tabrez to chant "Jai Shri Ram" and "Jai Hanuman".
Eleven men have been arrested by the police so far and 2 policemen Chandramohan Oraon and Bipin Bihari have also been suspended for not reporting the matter to the higher authorities in time.
The family also claims that they were not allowed to meet Tabrez when he was kept under arrest by the police and was denied medical treatment. They also claim that he had died a long time before the police finally took him to a hospital.
Tabrez’s killing rocked the parliament on Monday and the government was asked about the lynching by opposition parties.
Congress leader Ghulam Nabi Azad said, Please give us back the Old India.. There was no violence, no lynching... Give us that India where all religions are equal.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines July 19, 2019 ‘Chandrayaan 2’ mission rescheduled to 22 July
- Get-hooked July 19, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Headlines July 21, 2019 Sheila Dixit passes away at the age of 81
- Parasports July 17, 2019 India Divyang Cricket Team is raring to make its mark in first ever world series
- Get-hooked July 16, 2019 NGO Sreesh Mandiram was born out of a couple's experience coping with disability
- Parasports July 21, 2019 Disabled cricket body hit by resignations of 2 key officials ahead of first world series
- Events July 16, 2019 Living Well with Epilepsy: An Interactive Session
- Headlines July 16, 2019 Karnataka government trust vote on Thursday
- Get-hooked July 14, 2019 Understanding Essential Oils for Autism, ADHD
- Events July 18, 2019 RUN for Wheels Marathon
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News