Goa Chief Minister launches wheelchair accessible bus services for Panjim school
June 29, 2019
One of the major barriers that come in the way of disabled children attending school is the lack of wheelchair accessible transport. For the first time in Goa, a school in the state capital has access to a wheelchair accessible bus service, which was inaugurated by the chief minister. This will hopefully set the trend for other schools.
Students of the Sanjay Centre for Special Education in Panjim can now look forward to a comfortable ride to school. This is thanks to the introduction of a wheelchair accessible bus launched this week by Goa Chief Minister, Dr Pramod Sawant.
The modified bus can accommodate seven wheelchairs and a lift has been added with the help of Ezy Mov, the well known wheelchair taxi service. Another partner in this initiative is the Rotary Club of Panaji Mid-Town.
The Goa government has asked other schools for children with disabilities in the state to start this service. A fund has been set up to facilitate this. All the schools have to do is apply for the funding. Activists say this is a welcome move.
I think it is a great initiative and should definitely be extended to all the schools across Goa. The bus will definitely change the way disabled students travel to school. The RPWD Act also talks about making school transport vehicles accessible for the disabled students. - Avelino Dsa, President, Disability Rights Association of Goa
However for true inclusion to happen, this must be mandated for all schools and not just the 30 odd schools for children with disabilities. The RPWD Act specifically talks about ways to make inclusion happen at all levels. This way disabled students will be able to study at any school in the state.
Vishant Nagvekar, a Goa-based activist, hopes this feature will be extended to public transport as well.
“Right now one such bus has been launched and it is a great development. I hope this will be done for all the disabled students in Goa. It would make such a huge difference in the life of people with disabilities if the public transport buses were also made accessible".
Watch in Sign Language
- Western Railways’ monsoon helpdesks for disabled people, elderly are a winning idea
July 15, 2019
- Trichy Central Library brings written word alive for new audiences with a section for deaf readers
July 13, 2019
- Coimbatore City Municipal Corporation gets set to make buildings accessible
July 12, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines July 19, 2019 One conviction in high profile murder of UK teen in Goa
- Education July 15, 2019 Viewing the draft National Education Policy 2019 through the disability lens - Guest column by Shampa Sengupta
- Technology July 16, 2019 Research offers hope for restoring sight in acid attack victims
- Lifestyle July 17, 2019 No lace sports shoes for kids – Affordable, convenient and takes away the pain!
- Events July 14, 2019 Masti Time: Come share your stories
- Get-hooked July 20, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Events July 16, 2019 Swaras and More @ Mitr Cafe
- Get-hooked July 15, 2019 Sibaji Panda is bringing Indian sign language to the forefront
- Get-hooked July 16, 2019 Some tips to help a child with Down syndrome sleep better
- Get-hooked July 19, 2019 Inclusion Walkathon 2019 aims to spread the message of a world without barriers
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News