Rain alert in Mumbai, schools declared closed
July 2, 2019
A public holiday has been declared in Mumbai as the city has come to a virtual halt after heavy rains lashed the city all through Monday night. 16 people have been killed in Mumbai city and neighbouring Thane. The local trains, a lifeline for Mumbai's 20 million residents, have been affected badly. Many suburban and long-distance trains have been cancelled.
The Maharashtra government has declared a public holiday in Mumbai and its suburbs. Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis has advised residents to stay indoors as the weather office has sounded a red alert in Mumbai, warning of heavy rain.
Due to heavy rain forecast in Mumbai even today by IMD, People are advised to stay indoors unless there is any emergency. - Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis
Mumbai has received 375 millimetres of rain since Monday - the highest over a 24-hour period in a decade. There has been heavy water-logging and flooding at various parts leading to traffic jams in major areas like Malad, Sion and Dadar, which are among the worst hit areas in the city.
Trains on the Churchgate-Marine lines route were stopped on Monday. Photos of vehicles half submerged in water were doing the rounds on social media. Weather forecast reported that Mumbai is going to witness heavy rainfall from 3 July. Officials are now working on preparing the city to receive heavy rainfall in days to come. Western Railways opened helpline numbers on Monday.
“Our Managing Director @JATINSKYMET says #Mumbai is at serious risk of flooding between July 3 and 5. Close to 200 mm or more rain per day is likely during this period, which could hamper normal life. Be prepared for the upcoming #MumbaiRains, tweeted Skymet Weather.
Watch in Sign Language
- Death toll rises, lakhs left homeless in Assam floods
July 17, 2019
- England’s World Cup win clouded by ICC rule controversy
July 17, 2019
- Pakistan opens airspace after 140 days
July 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events July 11, 2019 Ask Me Anything
- Get-hooked July 14, 2019 #RareDiseases - Indian Rett Syndrome Foundation is raising awareness about this genetic brain disorder
- Get-hooked July 16, 2019 Skills training programme for people with autism in Ernakulam
- Events July 16, 2019 Swaras and More @ Mitr Cafe
- Headlines July 11, 2019 Kangana faces boycott threat from media
- Headlines July 10, 2019 India-New Zealand match enters reserve day
- Headlines July 14, 2019 6 dead, lakhs homeless in Assam floods
- Get-hooked July 15, 2019 Saswati Singh's efforts to empower people with disabilities takes off as Nav Prerna Foundation
- Headlines July 15, 2019 Press Club of India supports media boycott of Kangana
- Technology July 11, 2019 #TechThursdays - TouchVision SmartStand promises to be a game changer for visually impaired people
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News