Raveena Tandon apologises to Zaira Waseem
July 4, 2019
Actress Raveena Tandon tweeted an apology to Dangal star Zaira Wasim for calling her an "ungrateful two-film-old" who should "keep her regressive views to herself". Raveena had said this after the 18-year-old announced on Facebook that she was quitting films for religious reasons.
Raveena deleted her previous harsh tweets and posted this fresh one:
If this is true and the reason for her to quit, if she was or is under pressure, then I do feel sad for the girl. Was she forced into writing the long statement by radicals out of fear? She was a role model to so many youngsters with dreams and inspirations that they could achieve. - Raveena Tandon, Former Bollywood actor
Raveena later added, "I wish her luck and strength after seeing this, I now regret my first immediate tweet after reading her statement. Maybe she was forced to write what was unacceptable to people like me who love films, cinema, the industry, that I was born into. Deleting the tweet that now sounds harsh."
Her apology came after news channel Times Now circulated a video that showed how Zaira Wasim was bullied into quitting her acting career. The video, however, is four years old and is unlikely to be the factor that led to her decision.
Zaira, who made her debut in Aamir Khan's 2016 film Dangal, wrote in a lengthy note that she has quit the film industry as it has affected her "peace, imaan and relationship with Allah." She said "While I continued to work in an environment that consistently interfered with my imaan, my relationship with my religion was threatened."
There was an instant controversy with many criticising Zaira's decision to link her decision to quit with her religion. Others said she had a right to her choices.
Zaira has also acted in Secret Superstar and won the National Award for her role in Dangal. But she has been constantly attacked. She was targeted on social media for meeting Mehbooba Mufti, former chief minister of Jammu and Kashmir. Last year Zaira had spoken of her struggles with depression and anxiety and admitted to having suicidal thoughts.
She has just finished shooting for her last film The Sky Is Pink, which also stars Priyanka Chopra Jonas and Farhan Akhtar.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines July 16, 2019 Reports of rift within Indian cricket team to be probed
- Parasports July 18, 2019 Noted Paralympian Deepa Malik aims to set a record in sea swimming
- Get-hooked July 18, 2019 Trolled for a disability, UPSC topper Ira Singhal highlights need for inclusive education
- Headlines July 15, 2019 ‘Chandrayaan 2’ launch called off after technical slag
- Events July 18, 2019 Conference – Deglobalishing Disability : Texts and Contexts
- Events July 19, 2019 Human Festival - Inclusive Art Music Festival
- Education July 17, 2019 Kerala High Court upholds guidelines for therapy centres in the state
- Employment July 19, 2019 Hatti Kaapi's coffee cups bring cheer for many reasons
- Events July 16, 2019 Swaras and More @ Mitr Cafe
- Employment July 19, 2019 India Fort in Kerala to offer youngsters with intellectual disabilities platform to showcase talents
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News