Karnataka government in crisis
July 8, 2019
The Congress-Janata Dal Secular coalition government in Karnataka is on the verge of collapse after 11 MLAs resigned. The Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy is still in the United States on a holiday. Eight Congress and three Janata Dal Secular legislators resigned and sent their letters to the speaker. They also met the governor and were later flown to a hotel in Mumbai. If their resignation letters are accepted, the coalition government will be close to collapse.
"We have given our resignation to the speaker's office. We have brought this to the notice of the governor as well. We urge that our resignations be accepted. - H Vishwanath, Karnataka MLA
Karnataka minister D K Shivakumar managed to convince three Congress MLAs, including Ramalinga Reddy to not resign. Shivakumar tore up the resignation letters of the rebelling MLAs.
The Congress has blamed Prime Minister Narendra Modi and the BJP for the MLAs "Aaya Ram, gaya Ram politics (horse-trading) has a new definition now: Mischievously Orchestrating Defections In India - MODI," said Congress spokesperson Randeep Singh Surjewala.
Together the Congress and JDS together have 116 in the 224-member state assembly where 113 is the majority mark. The coalition will crash if 14 MLAs quit. The coalition, just a year old, has been in a shaky position as there has been a lot of struggling and infighting. .
The BJP claims it has nothing to do with the rebellion and that if the the government falls, the BJP should be invited to form government.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Education July 17, 2019 Kerala High Court upholds guidelines for therapy centres in the state
- Parasports July 17, 2019 India Divyang Cricket Team is raring to make its mark in first ever world series
- Get-hooked July 14, 2019 Understanding Essential Oils for Autism, ADHD
- Headlines July 16, 2019 Over 50 people dead, 30 missing in Nepal floods
- Events July 18, 2019 Josh Run
- Headlines July 15, 2019 England wins 2019 World Cup trophy
- Get-hooked July 18, 2019 Trolled for a disability, UPSC topper Ira Singhal highlights need for inclusive education
- Employment July 19, 2019 Hatti Kaapi's coffee cups bring cheer for many reasons
- Events July 16, 2019 Screening of MetaMorphosis
- Get-hooked July 19, 2019 Australia refuses entry to Kerala Catholic priest for comparing kids with autism to animals
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News