Dhoni refers to retirement rumours
July 9, 2019
Mahendra Singh Dhoni, who is facing criticism for his batting style in the World Cup 2019 talked about his retirement plans to the news website ABP News. He said that he was not sure of his plans but that some people wanted him to retire before India's game against Sri Lanka.
Dhoni said to the news website, "I don't know when I will retire. But a lot of people want me to retire before tomorrow's game".
A senior Indian cricket board official was also quoted in the media as saying that it is unlikely Dhoni will continue to play o India after this World Cup. "It is unlikely that he will continue to play for India after this World Cup. But since his decisions to quit captaincy from the three formats have been taken so suddenly, it is very difficult to predict at the moment".
Dhoni has scored 223 runs in seven games at a decent strike rate of over 93 but he has not been able to strike big. . If India qualify for the finals and go on to win the World Cup, it would be an ideal moment for one of the legends of Indian cricket to say goodbye.
Meanwhile, Dhoni turned 38 on Sunday with wishes pouring in from all parts of the world. Virat Kohli, current India cricket captain paid a touching tribute saying, "you will be always be my captain". Kohli took over the team after Dhoni stepped down from his position as captain in January 2017 but Dhoni remains an integral part of the team.
Happy birthday mahi bhai. Very few people understand the meaning of trust and respect and I'm glad to have had the friendship I have with you for so many years. You've been a big brother to all of us and as I said before, you will always be my captain. Virat Kohli, India captain
Dhoni was seen celebrating his birthday with wife Sakshi and daughter Ziva, along with some of his India teammates on Sunday.
India reached the semi-finals of World Cup 2019 as table-toppers and will take on New Zealand.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked July 17, 2019 Relief for deaf youth studying at Bengaluru technical training centre
- Employment July 19, 2019 Hatti Kaapi's coffee cups bring cheer for many reasons
- Events July 16, 2019 International Autism Conference
- Get-hooked July 20, 2019 Society for Empowerment of Deafblind aims to make the community aware of its rights
- Headlines July 20, 2019 Heavy rain alert in Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Odisha
- Headlines July 17, 2019 England’s World Cup win clouded by ICC rule controversy
- Events July 18, 2019 Conference – Deglobalishing Disability : Texts and Contexts
- Employment July 19, 2019 India Fort in Kerala to offer youngsters with intellectual disabilities platform to showcase talents
- Events July 16, 2019 Open Voices Conference
- Parasports July 14, 2019 Para chess champ Jennitha Anto does India proud yet again
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News