Technology enables people with disabilities to play music using their eyes
June 1, 2016
OpenUp Music, in the UK, is working towards inclusive youth orchestras by enabling musicians with disabilities to play music using their eyes.
Most musical instruments require fingers in order to play them and this puts them out of reach for those with disabilities. Since 2014, OpenUp Music has been designing and developing a new musical instrument that changes this. They have developed the Clarion, which is a musical software that combines many musical instruments.
Clarion allows the musician to change every element of the instrument, like the sound it makes, the number of notes that are available to play, the shape, position and colour of the notes, and the way one can play them.
It is possible to play the Clarion with the fingers, or any other part of the head or just by moving the eyes.
The instrument adapts to the musician and not the other way around.Clarion has enabled the launch of the UK's only disabled-led regional youth orchestra.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 16, 2019 IPL 2019 - Mumbai beat Bengaluru
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 "Court order should set a model for others with mental disabilities", says Bengal MBBS aspirant Tathagata Ghosh
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Shatrughan Sinha's wife joins Samajwadi Party
- Headlines April 22, 2019 Sadhvi Thakur slapped with notice over statements
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 #GetMoneywise - Financial planning mistakes parents with disabled children typically make
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 Election Commission's accessibility promises ring hollow in second phase of voting
- Headlines April 22, 2019 Vir Chakra recommended for Air Force pilot
- Get-hooked April 15, 2019 World Hemophilia Day 2019 aims for outreach & identification
- Headlines April 20, 2019 IPL 2019 - Bengaluru beat Kolkata
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 #AutismPower - Julia's family feature all through April on popular show Sesame Street
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News