Technology enables people with disabilities to play music using their eyes
OpenUp Music, in the UK, is working towards inclusive youth orchestras by enabling musicians with disabilities to play music using their eyes.
Most musical instruments require fingers in order to play them and this puts them out of reach for those with disabilities. Since 2014, OpenUp Music has been designing and developing a new musical instrument that changes this. They have developed the Clarion, which is a musical software that combines many musical instruments.
Clarion allows the musician to change every element of the instrument, like the sound it makes, the number of notes that are available to play, the shape, position and colour of the notes, and the way one can play them.
It is possible to play the Clarion with the fingers, or any other part of the head or just by moving the eyes.
The instrument adapts to the musician and not the other way around.Clarion has enabled the launch of the UK's only disabled-led regional youth orchestra.
Watch in Sign Language
- Kerala government launches projects to empower visually impaired people
February 19, 2019
- Kozhikode Art Gallery under fire for blocking access to wheelchair users
February 18, 2019
- Accessible parking still remains distant dream for people with disabilities
February 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 13, 2019 Deaf groups in Pune to protest against Maharashtra government's neglect of their needs
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Accessibility February 17, 2019 Accessible parking still remains distant dream for people with disabilities
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism in girls
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Vande Bharat Express breaks down a day after launch
- Parasports February 18, 2019 Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
- Headlines February 13, 2019 Ticket prices reduced for India’s fastest train
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Accessibility February 19, 2019 Kerala government launches projects to empower visually impaired people
- Parasports February 16, 2019 Inclusive tandem-cycling expedition #M2k2019 is back, this time even more scenic & challenging
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Accessibility February 11, 2019
Accessibility February 12, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News