Electronic travel aid that helps the blind identify obstacles
The SmartCane is an electronic travel aid that improves upon the regular white cane used by the visually impaired.
The device fits on the top fold of the white cane and helps to detect obstacles that are above the knee or are hanging like the side of a truck, hanging cloth strings, coolers or air conditioners that are jutting out, railings, tree branches, inclined ladders, etc.
These obstacles can result in injury to the head or upper body parts and need to be detected early.
The cane can also detect the presence or absence of objects in the surroundings.
The aid has been developed by IIT Delhi and costs Rs 3000.
Watch in Sign Language
- Kozhikode Art Gallery under fire for blocking access to wheelchair users
February 18, 2019
- Accessible parking still remains distant dream for people with disabilities
February 17, 2019
- Review petition challenging 50% vision, hearing disability limit for judge's post to be filed next week
February 15, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events February 12, 2019 Empowering for Inclusion Summit 2019
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Annual Rendezvous event of Headway Foundation is an occasion to honour disabled achievers
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Vande Bharat Express breaks down a day after launch
- Parasports February 13, 2019 Para sports champs Neeraj & Sajesh make history, climb Karnataka’s 3rd highest peak
- Parasports February 17, 2019 Players prep for the National wheelchair cricket match to begin this March
- Accessibility February 17, 2019 Accessible parking still remains distant dream for people with disabilities
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Kashmir attack - Pakistan under pressure to end support to terror groups
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 The incredibly gifted Piyush Sharma defies all stereotypes regarding disability
- Accessibility February 12, 2019 Patients find centre stage in competencies aimed to develop disability-inclusive compassionate care
- Get-hooked February 12, 2019 Children with autism showcase their talents at Kochi event
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Accessibility February 12, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 14, 2019