Electronic travel aid that helps the blind identify obstacles
June 3, 2016
The SmartCane is an electronic travel aid that improves upon the regular white cane used by the visually impaired.
The device fits on the top fold of the white cane and helps to detect obstacles that are above the knee or are hanging like the side of a truck, hanging cloth strings, coolers or air conditioners that are jutting out, railings, tree branches, inclined ladders, etc.
These obstacles can result in injury to the head or upper body parts and need to be detected early.
The cane can also detect the presence or absence of objects in the surroundings.
The aid has been developed by IIT Delhi and costs Rs 3000.
Watch in Sign Language
- Blood disorders no grounds to exclude disabled aspirants from studying medicine, argues petition
April 24, 2019
- Accessible voting promise a sham says activist Arman Ali, shares experience on social media
April 24, 2019
- Chennai airport's new terminal to show a disabled-friendly, accessible face
April 23, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility April 22, 2019 Court order paves way for woman without fingerprints to get Aadhaar card
- Accessibility April 18, 2019 Platforms at Coimbatore railway station will now get lifts
- Headlines April 21, 2019 Sadhvi Pragya retracts remark about 26/11 martyr
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 People with disabilities must consider issues not propaganda - Dr B S Patil & Monika S Kshatriya
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Dialogue in the Dark session at Gujarat National Law University triggers important conversations
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism and dental health
- Headlines April 19, 2019 Second voting phase-Key points
- Events April 18, 2019 Playful Parenting for Happier Urban Families
- Headlines April 23, 2019 Congress list for Delhi polls out
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Jet Airways suspends all operations
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News