Electronic travel aid that helps the blind identify obstacles
June 3, 2016
The SmartCane is an electronic travel aid that improves upon the regular white cane used by the visually impaired.
The device fits on the top fold of the white cane and helps to detect obstacles that are above the knee or are hanging like the side of a truck, hanging cloth strings, coolers or air conditioners that are jutting out, railings, tree branches, inclined ladders, etc.
These obstacles can result in injury to the head or upper body parts and need to be detected early.
The cane can also detect the presence or absence of objects in the surroundings.
The aid has been developed by IIT Delhi and costs Rs 3000.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events June 13, 2019 Workshop on Trust Deed and Support Circles for Special Needs
- Employment June 12, 2019 Breast cancer detection training for blind women to be expanded to more Indian cities
- Get-hooked June 15, 2019 Parenting Corner- Food Aversion and Autism
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Pakistan under pressure ahead of India match
- Headlines June 16, 2019 Shikhar Dhawan will not be replaced, says Virat
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Headlines June 14, 2019 India Vs New Zealand abandoned due to rain
- Headlines June 10, 2019 Dhoni gets government support on gloves issue
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Some tips to protect disabled children from bullying
- Events June 13, 2019 Read for Mental Health
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News