Madhavi Latha helps people with disabilities discover the love for sports
June 8, 2016
For persons with disabilities, there is little support available when it comes to playing a sport. This is why Madhavi Latha is so remarkable.
Latha fought polio with the help of physiotherapy and even went against her family's wishes by undergoing hydrotherapy, which are exercises done under water, when she discovered her love for swimming.
She decided to motivate children with disabilities to play sports through her movement called "Yes We Too Can". She has set up the Tamil Nadu Paralympics Swimming Association.
She also started the Wheelchair Basketball Federation of India which helps NGOs and people with disabilities spread a love for sports. Her goal is to set up a team from India for the Wheelchair Basketball Championship of the 2020 Paralympics at Tokyo.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 Delhi government failure to implement key RPWD Act provision sign of larger apathy
- Accessibility June 17, 2019 Tyre maker Goodyear partners with NAB to conduct road safety training in Delhi for blind people
- Headlines June 12, 2019 Supreme Court orders release of arrested journalist
- Events June 13, 2019 ABBF Weekend Cycle Ride
- Get-hooked June 17, 2019 These surprise gift boxes by Little Trovebox has people hooked
- Employment June 17, 2019 SAI Bakery offers adults with developmental disabilities space to bond & learn
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 MCI requirement for double certification puts disabled medical aspirants under undue stress
- Headlines June 12, 2019 Kerala cops, Interpol join hands to fight child abuse
- Events June 11, 2019 Maximising Progress in Autism
- Headlines June 11, 2019 PM says Rahul yet to recover from poll loss
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News