Madhavi Latha helps people with disabilities discover the love for sports
June 8, 2016
For persons with disabilities, there is little support available when it comes to playing a sport. This is why Madhavi Latha is so remarkable.
Latha fought polio with the help of physiotherapy and even went against her family's wishes by undergoing hydrotherapy, which are exercises done under water, when she discovered her love for swimming.
She decided to motivate children with disabilities to play sports through her movement called "Yes We Too Can". She has set up the Tamil Nadu Paralympics Swimming Association.
She also started the Wheelchair Basketball Federation of India which helps NGOs and people with disabilities spread a love for sports. Her goal is to set up a team from India for the Wheelchair Basketball Championship of the 2020 Paralympics at Tokyo.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Technology April 15, 2019 Low cost foot orthosis among the promising innovations on display at IIT-Bombay's annual device expo
- Events April 18, 2019 EasterFest
- Headlines April 19, 2019 Second voting phase-Key points
- Headlines April 22, 2019 Over 200 dead in Sri Lanka blasts
- Accessibility April 18, 2019 Platforms at Coimbatore railway station will now get lifts
- Accessibility April 20, 2019 In a first, residents of a mental health centre in Chennai cast their votes. Here's how it happened
- Headlines April 16, 2019 Yogi, Mayawati banned by ECI
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Google bans TikTok in India
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Shatrughan Sinha's wife joins Samajwadi Party
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News