TV channels directed to carry captions & audio descriptions
All news and other TV channels have been asked to carry the same language captions and audio descriptions along with the programs and news reports for persons with disabilities.
The Information and Broadcasting Ministry said this was in following with the Accessible India Campaign which is working towards achieving universal accessibility for persons with disabilities.
Due to lack of assistive technology, access to TV shows is a problem for many people with disabilities and a need was felt to frame guidelines that made it necessary for TV channels to telecast a certain percentage of programming with audio description and captioning to benefit persons with disabilities.
In the recent past, the Republic Day Parade commentary and Independence Day ceremony was carried with sign language interpretation.
Watch in Sign Language
- Kerala government launches projects to empower visually impaired people
February 19, 2019
- Kozhikode Art Gallery under fire for blocking access to wheelchair users
February 18, 2019
- Accessible parking still remains distant dream for people with disabilities
February 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 14, 2019 Salman Khan’s ‘Bharat’ to have a multi-lingual release
- Events February 14, 2019 Ghazal Nite
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 The incredibly gifted Piyush Sharma defies all stereotypes regarding disability
- Parasports February 16, 2019 Inclusive tandem-cycling expedition #M2k2019 is back, this time even more scenic & challenging
- Parasports February 18, 2019 Sports must be an integral part in lives of people with disabilities. Here is why.
- Headlines February 19, 2019 Pakistani actors and artists banned by Indian film industry
- Parasports February 15, 2019 First ever sound ball tennis workshop in Mumbai for people with visual impairments
- Headlines February 15, 2019 40 soldiers killed in J&K attack
- Technology February 14, 2019 Tobii Dynavox eye tracker is opening new world to little Ganga & others like her
- Technology February 17, 2019 Leveraging artificial intelligence for accessibility solutions focus of Microsoft India's Accessibility Summit
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Accessibility February 11, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News