Sports helps empower deaf students in Andhra Pradesh
The Bukkaraya Samudram School, Anantapur in Andhra Pradesh, uses sports and cultural activities to empower its hearing and speech impaired students.
The school was set up in 2008 and unlike most schools in the region has a cricket ground, a tennis court, a volleyball court, a basketball court, a play area for younger children as well as indoor halls for badminton, chess and other games.
For children who like arts there are activities like dance and handicrafts.
BKS students take part in Unified Sports, a sports program where persons with disabilities compete against those without disabilities. Forty-nine former students have participated at the national Level for various sports like chess, athletics and cricket.
Watch in Sign Language
- "After playing for 15 years, I am getting recognition now" - My Take by blind chess champ Kishan Gangolli
February 19, 2019
- Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
February 18, 2019
- Sports must be an integral part in lives of people with disabilities. Here is why.
February 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 14, 2019 IndiGo cancels 30 flights, more to follow
- Headlines February 14, 2019 CAG report on Rafale deal brings relief to Modi government
- Headlines February 19, 2019 Pakistani actors and artists banned by Indian film industry
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Annual Rendezvous event of Headway Foundation is an occasion to honour disabled achievers
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 #LovePossible - What happened when Satendra Singh met his Paro
- Get-hooked February 17, 2019 Understanding Rett Syndrome
- Parasports February 18, 2019 Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
- Parasports February 16, 2019 Inclusive tandem-cycling expedition #M2k2019 is back, this time even more scenic & challenging
- Headlines February 15, 2019 40 soldiers killed in J&K attack
- Events February 17, 2019 National Conference on Assistive Technology for All 2030
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 14, 2019