Sports helps empower deaf students in Andhra Pradesh
June 16, 2016
The Bukkaraya Samudram School, Anantapur in Andhra Pradesh, uses sports and cultural activities to empower its hearing and speech impaired students.
The school was set up in 2008 and unlike most schools in the region has a cricket ground, a tennis court, a volleyball court, a basketball court, a play area for younger children as well as indoor halls for badminton, chess and other games.
For children who like arts there are activities like dance and handicrafts.
BKS students take part in Unified Sports, a sports program where persons with disabilities compete against those without disabilities. Forty-nine former students have participated at the national Level for various sports like chess, athletics and cricket.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Why my dad's my superhero - Father's Day Tributes
- Employment June 17, 2019 SAI Bakery offers adults with developmental disabilities space to bond & learn
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Understanding Fibromyalgia
- Events June 13, 2019 ABBF Weekend Ride
- Events June 13, 2019 Workshop on Trust Deed and Support Circles for Special Needs
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Virat Kohli fastest to score 11,000 ODI runs
- Headlines June 14, 2019 Sania Mirza slams TV ads ahead of India-Pak match
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Events June 13, 2019 SLD Awareness Programme
- Headlines June 11, 2019 Virat apologises for booing Indian fans
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News