Sports helps empower deaf students in Andhra Pradesh
June 16, 2016
The Bukkaraya Samudram School, Anantapur in Andhra Pradesh, uses sports and cultural activities to empower its hearing and speech impaired students.
The school was set up in 2008 and unlike most schools in the region has a cricket ground, a tennis court, a volleyball court, a basketball court, a play area for younger children as well as indoor halls for badminton, chess and other games.
For children who like arts there are activities like dance and handicrafts.
BKS students take part in Unified Sports, a sports program where persons with disabilities compete against those without disabilities. Forty-nine former students have participated at the national Level for various sports like chess, athletics and cricket.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 15, 2019 World Hemophilia Day 2019 aims for outreach & identification
- Headlines April 15, 2019 Elections 2019 - Shatrughan Sinha wants to fight PM Modi
- Headlines April 19, 2019 Congress spokesperson attacks her party
- Events April 22, 2019 Learn to manage your own career
- Headlines April 19, 2019 ‘Kalank’ is highest grosser on opening day for 2019
- Headlines April 16, 2019 World Cup Cricket - Indian side announced
- Accessibility April 22, 2019 Court order paves way for woman without fingerprints to get Aadhaar card
- Get-hooked April 17, 2019 Karnataka candidate Ramanjinappa has an inclusive mission
- Events April 15, 2019 Accessible Bowling
- Accessibility April 18, 2019 Platforms at Coimbatore railway station will now get lifts
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News