Paralympic players deserve equal recognition as Olympic sportsmen - My Take
June 21, 2016
I love sports and I wanted to find a way so that other people with disabilities could also take part in sports. This led to the idea of a Wheelchair Basketball tournament, where 360 players from 20 states will take part.
Since December 2014, wheelchair basketball is being played in India but there was no technical support staff to identify the players based on their functional ability and to classify them.
We have approached foreign coaches to train local technicians and players so that we can have local technical expertise.
The biggest challenge we have faced is accessibility in India. Every time we host a tournament we face accommodation problems, as even 5 star hotels have just one room that is accessible.
The wheelchair on which we play is costly too and needs to be imported. So the government should encourage manufacturers to produce such wheelchairs in India.
The government also needs to do more to promote paralympic sports. Paralympic players need to get the same recognition that Olympic players receive.About the Writer
Madhavi Latha is the founder of the Wheelchair Basketball Federation of India. The first technical training camp for wheelchair basketball begins in Hyderabad on 21 June in partnership with the International Wheelchair Basketball Federation and International Paralympics Committee's AGITOS Foundation. There will be an exhibition match between India and Thailand and a national level coaching camp from 22 to 26 June at KVBR Stadium, Yousufguda.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism and dental health
- Events April 16, 2019 Learning Through Play Workshop
- Headlines April 20, 2019 Make comedy film on PM Modi: Urmila Matondkar
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Technology April 15, 2019 Low cost foot orthosis among the promising innovations on display at IIT-Bombay's annual device expo
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Notre Dame cathedral in Paris catches fire
- Get-hooked April 17, 2019 Karnataka candidate Ramanjinappa has an inclusive mission
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News