Radio station that gives voice to people with disabilities – My Take
June 29, 2016
At Radio Udaan, we believe in reaching out to everyone and we do this by holding workshops that focus on inclusion, and better socialization of people with disabilities.
We hold talks in schools and institutions to create better awareness and opportunities for people with disabilities.
Technology is a great means of empowerment so we provide online training on information communication technologies (ICTs) to the visually impaired.
News is also a great way to foster empowerment and inclusion and our live coverage of events pertaining to the visually impaired is a step towards that.
Through Radio Udaan, we are trying to provide a platform to those whose talents and abilities are not recognized by the mainstream media. We also want to highlight the need to enable people with disabilities with equal education and employment opportunities.
Above all, we believe in a rights-based approach and are reaching out to governments, at the state and the Centre, to push for an inclusive system of education.
About the Writer
Danish Mahajan is a key member of Radio Udaan, an pan India online radio initiative for the visually challenged. Radio Udaan is available in over 100 countries and reaches more than 20,000 listeners every month with a mix of information and entertainment.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility June 26, 2019 Social media thread highlights barriers faced by disabled candidates at exam halls across India
- Education June 19, 2019 Parents, special educators group files RTI into status of inclusive education in Kerala
- Technology June 24, 2019 New web-based remote promises to change TV viewing for people with disabilities
- Get-hooked June 20, 2019 Nandavanam centre is changing lives of disabled kids with a blend of tradition & compassion
- Headlines June 19, 2019 Aussie player Steve Smith praises Virat
- Parasports June 23, 2019 Deaf shooter Dhanush Srikanth stuns the world with performance in regular category
- Education June 21, 2019 American College in Madurai introduces disability studies in syllabus
- Get-hooked June 23, 2019 Understanding Deafblindness
- Headlines June 26, 2019 Mamata Banerjee says ‘Super Emergency’ in India since Modi rule
- Events June 20, 2019 With This Ability - Comedy and Conversation with Sweta Mantrii
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News