First building for the deaf in New York
New York based Galluadet University has the world's first building designed specifically for deaf students. This is the first to use the DeafSpace principles to meet the needs of the hearing impaired.
DeafSpace principles are building guidelines to improve how deaf people interact with their surroundings. The architects came up with more than 150 design elements that address the five main problem areas for the deaf - space, mobility, light and color, and sound.
DeafSpace aims to build awareness and sensitivity of future building designs. Every detail, from the floor-plan to the colors on the wall, are taken into consideration with DeafSpace.
Watch in Sign Language
- Some common misconceptions about Braille
January 24, 2019
- Some things to avoid when you parent a child with autism
January 23, 2019
- The Headway Foundation's annual Rendezvous promises some exciting announcements
January 23, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines January 18, 2019 Supreme Court allows dance bars in Maharashtra to reopen
- Get-hooked January 20, 2019 Understanding Spinal Muscular Atrophy
- Get-hooked January 21, 2019 Some things to not tell a disabled person when you meet online
- Get-hooked January 21, 2019 Parenting Disability: Me as an orthpedically challenged child - Guest Column by Payal Kukreja
- Get-hooked January 18, 2019 Sports are ideal for children with autism. Here is how.
- Get-hooked January 21, 2019 Teen prodigy Satvik Sharma expresses himself through incredible works of art
- Parasports January 24, 2019 Over 200 chess players sign up for annual tournament in Hyderabad
- Headlines January 20, 2019 Kerala government claims 51 women entered Sabarimala since last September
- Parasports January 20, 2019 Samarthanam Trust, Pinkathon to.organize ultra-marathon for visually impaired people
- Events January 21, 2019 Agra Deaf Enable Society- Republic Day Event
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked January 19, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News