Arpan, Dabba with a difference - My Take
July 20, 2016
The Arpan Dabba Service was born because I felt that there is a dire need to provide supported employment to persons with developmental disabilities. It began as a small experiment to see if it was even possible to do so.
Our customers range from 20-35 a day, and we prepare fresh meals every morning and send it by lunchtime.
The dishes have a North Indian flavor to them andthe price ranges from Rs 120 to Rs 180 per meal. Our team is made up os eight people with developmental disabilities and they work on different shifts.
They need support so we have four people who work with them. Our team was trained on the job. They all need different levels of support and we provide that so that they can slowly learn all the skills associated with this enterprise.
The challenges are many, but we have a good team.
About the Writer
Sushama Nagarkar is the founder of Yash Charitable Trust, the group behind the Arpan Dabba Service. You can find out more about the service on their website.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Upcoming film 'Mental Hai Kya' starring Kangana, Rajkummar angers mental health experts
- Parasports April 17, 2019 London will now host the ninth World Para Swimming Championship
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 Voter Helpline in ISL aims to enable deaf voters make an informed choice
- Headlines April 20, 2019 Mulayam Singh Yadav, Mayawati share dais at Uttar Pradesh
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Some tips for people with disabilities to stay fit & healthy
- Headlines April 19, 2019 Congress spokesperson attacks her party
- Technology April 15, 2019 Low cost foot orthosis among the promising innovations on display at IIT-Bombay's annual device expo
- Events April 18, 2019 EasterFest
- Get-hooked April 15, 2019 What Good Are We? - Guest column by Arun Dua
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Maneka Gandhi gets notice from Election Commission
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News