Arpan, Dabba with a difference - My Take
July 20, 2016
The Arpan Dabba Service was born because I felt that there is a dire need to provide supported employment to persons with developmental disabilities. It began as a small experiment to see if it was even possible to do so.
Our customers range from 20-35 a day, and we prepare fresh meals every morning and send it by lunchtime.
The dishes have a North Indian flavor to them andthe price ranges from Rs 120 to Rs 180 per meal. Our team is made up os eight people with developmental disabilities and they work on different shifts.
They need support so we have four people who work with them. Our team was trained on the job. They all need different levels of support and we provide that so that they can slowly learn all the skills associated with this enterprise.
The challenges are many, but we have a good team.
About the Writer
Sushama Nagarkar is the founder of Yash Charitable Trust, the group behind the Arpan Dabba Service. You can find out more about the service on their website.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 21, 2019 Rahul Gandhi firm on quitting as Congress chief
- Accessibility June 24, 2019 Buttons 2 Button is an adaptive clothing idea straight from a mom's heart
- Get-hooked June 21, 2019 Uber India apology to disability rights activist not enough, call for concrete measures
- Education June 24, 2019 Inclusive Education - Challenges and Barriers - Guest column by Rukmini Krishnaswamy
- Headlines June 21, 2019 Finance Minister to present budget on 5 July
- Get-hooked June 23, 2019 Understanding Deafblindness
- Get-hooked June 23, 2019 Making a difference – Quick Tips for budding social entrepreneurs
- Headlines June 17, 2019 Cricket World Cup – India beats Pakistan
- Parasports June 18, 2019 ‘Keep striving until you achieve your goals’- My take by Vysakh SR
- Events June 20, 2019 Anxiety Disorders & Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News