Arpan, Dabba with a difference - My Take
The Arpan Dabba Service was born because I felt that there is a dire need to provide supported employment to persons with developmental disabilities. It began as a small experiment to see if it was even possible to do so.
Our customers range from 20-35 a day, and we prepare fresh meals every morning and send it by lunchtime.
The dishes have a North Indian flavor to them andthe price ranges from Rs 120 to Rs 180 per meal. Our team is made up os eight people with developmental disabilities and they work on different shifts.
They need support so we have four people who work with them. Our team was trained on the job. They all need different levels of support and we provide that so that they can slowly learn all the skills associated with this enterprise.
The challenges are many, but we have a good team.
About the Writer
Sushama Nagarkar is the founder of Yash Charitable Trust, the group behind the Arpan Dabba Service. You can find out more about the service on their website.
Watch in Sign Language
- Expert cook & entrepreneur - Deeja juggles roles with ease
February 20, 2019
- Know how Serotonin affects your mental health
February 19, 2019
- Here is how caregivers can avoid being burned out
February 19, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 #LovePossible - What happened when Satendra Singh met his Paro
- Get-hooked February 18, 2019 One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
- Headlines February 13, 2019 17 people killed in fire that broke out at Delhi hotel
- Events February 14, 2019 Special Day Outing For Special Families
- Events February 14, 2019 Be a Valentine - Celebrate Love
- Events February 14, 2019 Walkathon for Mental Health Awareness
- Events February 13, 2019 Job Oriented Preparatory Workshop for persons with disabilities
- Events February 14, 2019 Free Eye Camp
- Parasports February 15, 2019 First ever sound ball tennis workshop in Mumbai for people with visual impairments
- Get-hooked February 17, 2019 Understanding Rett Syndrome
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News