Wearable that helps the deaf stay aware of their surroundings
People who are hearing impaired or deaf often face situations that present challenges and dangers specific to them, like not being able to hear a smoke alarm or a gunshot.
Now there is a wearable device called SoundSense that addresses this specific need. It listens for noises that might require immediate attention and alerts the user when it detects one.
The device is small, practical and cheap. It has a microphone that passes its signal to a microchip, which watches for sudden increases in volume. When it hears one, it vibrates and the LED light flashes alerting the user.
Watch in Sign Language
- Microsoft introduces real-time captions and translations to Skype and PowerPoint
December 17, 2018
- Bengaluru meet brings together key stakeholders working on indigenous assistive tech solutions
December 10, 2018
- Assistive technology makes life simpler for children with learning disabilities
December 5, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports December 13, 2018 Wheelchair kabaddi set to make its presence felt in India
- Employment December 15, 2018 Staff from schools for disabled kids protest against government apathy in Kerala
- Parasports December 17, 2018 Nothing stops this blind cricketer from batting for inclusion into IPL
- Headlines December 13, 2018 India vs Australia - Prithvi Shaw will miss second Test
- Headlines December 10, 2018 Army jawan arrested in connection with Bulandshahr cop murder
- Employment December 12, 2018 Visual impairment is no barrier to a successful career. Here are some tips
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Some benefits of yoga for children with autism
- Employment December 11, 2018 Learn sign language over a cuppa at this Jodhpur cafe
- Headlines December 14, 2018 Kamal Nath will be Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister
- Get-hooked December 13, 2018 Deaf candidate Sudeep Shukla impresses in polls, shows the way to disabled political aspirants
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018